Tax Season Opening Soon
Jan. 23, 2014 – TaxTalk Blog
It’s almost here! As the torrent of tax preparation ads have already reminded you, tax season is less than two weeks away. Beginning Jan. 31, 2014, the Indiana Department of Revenue (and IRS) will open the 2014 filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns. Here is some important (and money-saving) information to remember this tax season.
Qualified taxpayers will be able to use a free filing service called Indiana freefile (INfreefile) to file both their federal AND state taxes online. Last year, more than 118,000 taxpayers used INfreefile to file their Indiana taxes. However, nearly 1 million Hoosier taxpayers qualify to file taxes for free through INfreefile, due to criteria such as having an AGI of $58,000 or less, claiming the earned income credit, etc.
Taxpayers should visit www.freefile.dor.in.gov to see if they qualify for INfreefile based on the vendors’ options. If qualified, taxpayers simply click the vendor of their choice and complete their tax returns online. It’s that simple!
By choosing to file electronically you get:
- Faster refunds – e-filed returns are processed in 10 to 14 days, while a paper return can take up to 10 to12 weeks.
- Increased security – fewer people see your information.
- Get more or owe less – e-filing software may suggest credits and deductions you might not have known about.
- Better accuracy – electronic returns have a 2 percent error rate versus 20 percent for paper returns.
Hours of Operation
In addition to offering INfreefile, the department has extended its customer service office hours during the tax season to better serve taxpayers. The operating hours are:
- January: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST)
- February through April: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST)
The department is here to help during tax season. If you have any questions regarding your individual income tax returns, contact the department at (317) 232-2240 or visit www.in.gov/dor/3392.htm.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
Next to the holidays, back-to-school time can be the most expensive season for many Hoosier families. Luckily, Indiana offers a few education related deductions and credits to put money back in your pocket. Read more...
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017
August is back to school time for Hoosier students across the state. Although homeschoolers in Indiana are not required to follow a traditional school calendar, now is a good time to remind homeschool families about the state's homeschool tax deduction. Read more...
- The Indiana State Fair is in Full Swing
August 09, 2017
- What Do Our District Offices Do?
August 02, 2017
- Filing Past Year Tax Returns
July 27, 2017
- Reading Your Tax Bill
July 05, 2017
- Fireworks Public Safety Fee in Indiana
June 21, 2017