Tax Information for Seniors and Low-Income Taxpayers

Filing Requirements

A taxpayer that is an Indiana resident (taxpayer maintained a legal residence in Indiana for the entire year) and the total value of personal, elderly, and blind exemptions exceeds the taxpayer's federal gross income before deductions, does not need to file an annual income tax return. More information on if you need to file can be found on our Who Must File a Tax Return webpage.

Assistance for Seniors and Low-Income Taxpayers

If you are a senior or low-income customer looking for assistance in preparing your individual income taxes, there are organizations that can help.

  • The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program focuses on helping low- and moderate-income people, with special attention to those over age 60.
  • The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. 
  • The Notre Dame Tax Clinic is a federally funded Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) that represents clients in controversies with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and educates individuals about their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers.
  • The John Boner Neighborhood Centers is part of Indy Free Tax Prep, Central Indiana’s Network for Free Tax Preparation.  As part of the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, they offer free tax preparation and other services to eligible residents.
  • Indy Free Tax Prep is a network of Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites provide through the United Way of Central Indiana that offer free tax preparation to individuals and families with a combined household income of $64,000 or less. If taxpayers are looking for services, dial 2-1-1 to find a nearby VITA location and schedule an appointment. If you have questions or want to volunteer, you can email

Tax Credits

Tax Deductions


Indiana allows:

  • A $1,000 exemption for each exemption claimed on the federal return;
  • A $1,500 exemption for certain dependent children;
  • A $1,000 exemption for the taxpayer and/or spouse if they are age 65 or over;
  • A $1,000 exemption for the taxpayer and/or spouse if they are blind; and
  • A $500 additional exemption for each individual age 65 or older if their federal adjusted gross income is less than $40,000


Additional Information