- What is INfreefile?
INfreefile was developed in 2003 by the IRS and tax preparation software vendors. INfreefile allows customers with lower adjusted gross incomes (AGI) to file their federal and state taxes for free using question and answer style applications. Nearly two million Hoosiers qualify for this free service.
- What are the benefits of using INfreefile?
- Faster refunds: A paper-filed return can take up to 12 weeks versus four weeks for electronically filed returns.
- Confirmation: You’ll receive confirmation that your return was received and accepted.
- 24/7 access: You can access INfreefile at any time, day or night.
- Easy to use: All INfreefile options are user-friendly and include step-by-step instructions.
- Fewer errors: Electronically filed returns have a two percent error rate, compared to a 20 percent error rate for paper-filed returns.
- More efficient: You can prepare and file your federal and state tax returns at the same time.
- Convenient: INfreefile provides the added convenience of direct deposit for refunds and direct debit for payment of t
- How do I use INfreefile?
Eligible customers may prepare and file their federal and state income tax returns for free using software provided by INfreefile vendors. To get started, compare each of the five vendors’ offers and select the vendor that works best for you.
All INfreefile software is designed to navigate you through a series of questions, asking only for the information that is needed based on the type of return you are filing. All INfreefile software will automatically check for completeness and errors.
- I have already filed my federal return. Can I use INfreefile to file my state return only?
Yes! You may go to the INfreefile webpage to compare vendors offers.
- I qualify for INfreefile, but the vendor I selected is trying to charge me. What do I do?
If you already have an existing account with a vendor, you must create a new account when using INfreefile. Because you already have an established account, the vendor software product is redirecting you to the product you last used which is charging a fee.
- Do I have to download software?
No. INfreefile is accessed directly from the vendor’s website, and your return is filed through that website.
- Is INfreefile secure?
Yes! All INfreefile vendors must adhere to the strict privacy standards of the IRS. All websites are equipped with the latest encryption program to safeguard your personal information.
- Why are electronically filed returns more accurate?
All vendor software checks for math errors and calculations, which reduces mistakes. The software also prompts you only for applicable information based on the type of return you are filing.
- How do I sign my return?
With INfreefile software, taxpayers sign their tax return using an electronic signature. This is done by creating a personal identification number (PIN). Step-by-step instructions are provided in the vendor software to help you set up a PIN.
- Do I still need to send you my W-2 statements?
No. You will enter all the pertinent information from your W-2s into the INfreefile software you choose. Retain all paper copies of your W-2s with your tax records.
- How do I pay if I owe money?
INfreefile software allows you to pay your taxes due through an electronic funds transfer (EFT) debit. If you would prefer not to pay electronically, you may use INfreefile to file your return and mail a paper check. Be sure to include the payment voucher with your check and include your social security number on the check to ensure that the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) can accurately track your payment.
- Who is eligible for INfreefile?
Each participating vendor sets its own eligibility requirements. Not all taxpayers will qualify to file for free with all vendors. Eligibility criteria are generally based on one or more of the following:
- Taxpayer’s federal adjusted gross income (AGI)
- Active military status
- Whether or not they qualify for the earned income tax credit
Carefully review the INfreefile vendor criteria before selecting a vendor.
If you begin at the IRS.gov website, be sure to select a vendor who offers free file for Indiana taxpayers.
- I’m a college student. Can I use INfreefile?
Absolutely! INfreefile may help you find credits or deductions that you might not know about. For example, some college students could be eligible for certain education credits or tuition and fees deductions.
- How do I get started?
Review the list of participating INfreefile vendors, compare vendor offers, and select an offer that works for you. Click on the logo of the vendor you choose, which will send you directly to that vendor’s free file website. You will begin the process by preparing your federal return first, followed by your Indiana tax return.
- Is there a charge to use INfreefile to electronically file my return?
Each participating vendor company sets its own eligibility requirements. Not all taxpayers will qualify to file for free with all vendors.
If you do not qualify for INfreefile, you may still use the vendor application for a fee. If you would prefer, you may file a paper return for free.
- If I’m filing jointly with my spouse, does the adjusted gross income (AGI) limitation apply to the income of my spouse and I separately or combined?
The adjusted gross income (AGI) limitation applies to the income of you and your spouse combined if you are filing using the married filing jointly status.
- I bought tax preparation software at the store. Does INfreefile support this software?
No. Store-bought programs cannot be used in conjunction with the INfreefile program.
- I need help using the INfreefile software. Where can I go for customer service assistance?
Each vendor provides customer service assistance. Check the vendor’s website for customer service options such as online assistance, Spanish support, or technical assistance.