August 1, 2012 – TaxTalk Blog
This is the first of a three-part series.
This year the Indiana state legislature passed a few laws that change the way business taxpayers will be required to file and remit sales and withholding taxes. Here are some of the key changes:
- Filings and payments. By no later than Jan. 1, 2013:
- All retail merchants must report and remit sales tax electronically.
- All withholding agents must report and remit withholding taxes electronically.
- Quarterly withholding filings will be eliminated.
- Forms. As of June 30, 2012, anyone who is required to file more than 25 W-2s, 1099-Rs, or WH-18s with Indiana must file them electronically.
How to file electronically…for free. We want you to know that Indiana has a free online tax filing system for sales and withholding tax returns. It is called INtax. We recommend you register with INtax and begin filing electronically as soon as possible in order to avoid the January rush.
Did you know?
- We offer a range of sophisticated tutorials to help you learn how to use INtax.
- Service providers can also use INtax. And, we have tutorials specially designed for service agencies.
- We have a special INtax hotline for help with INtax. Call
Please call us at (317) 232-2337 or visit our website at https://www.intax.in.gov/Web/ if you have any questions or concerns on how to register. We look forward to helping you get a jump-start on an electrifying experience!
Come back next week for more information about INtax registration, filing procedures, and possible exceptions to the mandate (there are a few, and most are short-term).
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.