Indiana Department of Revenue

Subscribe to the News Room


Small Hr

Contact Us

Bob Dittmer, APR
(317) 234-3793

Small Hr

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook Twitter


Contact: Bob Dittmer, APR
(317) 234-3793

Indiana Tax Tips February 29, 2012

Indianapolis (Feb. 29, 2012) Here are a few tips you can share with your readers/viewers/listeners:

  1. Remember, this year the filing deadline is Tuesday, April 17, 2012.
  1. Looking to file electronically? You should! Everything happens faster – including refunds. Consider INfreeflile by visiting to see if you qualify to file online for free using professional software. Nearly a million Hoosier taxpayers qualify. More than 60,000 Hoosiers have already filed their taxes using INfreefile.
  1. Where can I get Indiana tax forms and booklets? Taxpayers can get tax forms from any local library or one of our 12 district offices (visit to find a location). All Indiana tax forms are also online at
  1. Were you an Indiana resident for only part of 2011? If so, you should file Form IT-40PNR with Indiana, not Form IT-40. If you earned income in another state as well, you may be required to file income tax in that state, too. Get your IT-40 PNR at
  1. While the Energy Star credit is not available for 2011 taxes, the insulation deduction is. If you installed new insulation in your Indiana home during 2011, you may qualify. Insulation includes weather stripping, new double-paned windows, storm doors, and storm windows in addition to traditional new insulation. If your project qualifies, you are allowed to deduct the actual cost of the qualifying items, including labor, up to a maximum of $1,000.
  1. Where’s my refund? If you have a refund due, you can visit You’ll need to know the exact amount of your refund and the Social Security number used on your tax return. You can also check on your refund by calling the Department of Revenue’s automated refund line at 317-233-4018.


Contact: Bob Dittmer, APR (317) 234-3793 - office