USDOT Number Requirements for Interstate


What is a USDOT number?

A USDOT number federally identifies carriers traveling across the United States and beyond. This is the number that must be visible on your truck to be legal.

Who must have a USDOT number?

You must mark your vehicle with a USDOT number if:

  • You operate a commercial motor vehicle transporting property or passengers and have a GVWR or GCVW of 10,001 lbs. or more;
  • You use the vehicle to transport more than nine passengers (including the driver); or
  • You use the vehicle to transport placardable amounts of hazardous materials.

The registration receipt you receive will serve as proof of your registration.

What are the exceptions?

If your vehicle weighs less than 10,000lbs., you are not required to get a USDOT number. If you transport passengers and your seating capacity is eight or fewer, you are not required to get a USDOT number.

What do I do next?

First, you will need to apply online for a USDOT number. You may also have to apply for a (MC) Motor Carrier number. You must wait 24 hours before going to the United Carrier Registration page to pay your annual UCR fees for interstate carriers. Finally, prepare for your safety audit conducted by the Motor Carrier State Police once you receive your USDOT number.

Things to Remember

  • You will need to renew with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) every two years.
  • It is important that your vehicle’s markings follow all the guidelines. You can find more information in the Commercial Motor Vehicle Guidebook on pages 21 and 22.
  • If you decide to close your business, you will need to complete a Motor Carrier Closure Letter and a BC-100 if you have open tax accounts with the Indiana Department of Revenue.
  • If you are going to be changing the name of your company, you must submit an MCS-NC Legal Name Change Affidavit.
  • Don’t forget about that safety audit.

Find and print a complete USDOT checklist.