W-2 and WH-3 Electronic Filing FAQs
What do I need to tell purchasers of my software preparation package about my substitute WH-3s?
Any employer that files more than 25 W-2s in a calendar year is required to file the WH-3 and their wage statements electronically. This law (IC 6-3-4-16.5) applies to W-2s filed after Dec. 31, 2010.
What does a software developer need to help their customers electronically file W-2s and WH-3s?
If your product will batch upload files on behalf of your clients, you will need to be certified with the Indiana Department of Revenue. To become certified you will need to follow the steps below:
Step 1: Register for INtax
Step 2: Batch Upload Your W-2s.
Batch upload submitters must be pre-registered and certified to use the system. To submit a file to the DOR’s Bulk Upload Web site, you must do all of the following:
- Have a valid Indiana Taxpayer Identification number (TID) for each return
- Have a text file in the prescribed SSA EFW2
- Be registered in INtax if you are a service provider ( the clients included in the file do not have to be registered)
- Use PGP encryption software to encrypt file before sending.
- Use the following software to connect to the secure FTP site
- Successfully complete an upload of two test files
- Find information about uploading a bulk file on our website.
Where can I find more information regarding how to upload a file to DOR?
You will need to be certified with DOR to electronically upload files.
What if my product does not allow for bulk upload, but purchasers of my product don't want to manually enter each W-2 and WH-3?
Have your customers register for INtax. Once registered in INtax, they can upload a text file in the required format. To do this, they must do the following:
- Have a valid Indiana Taxpayer Identification number (TID) for each return.
- Have a text file in the prescribed SSA EFW2 format. See instructions in the Department’s W-2 Handbook.
- If you are a service provider, you must register all clients included in the file through INtax.
- Remember that each file has a limit of 2,000 W-2s.
- Find more information about uploading a bulk file on our website.
- Check Your Refund
- INfreefile (Individual Income Tax)
- Tax Lien Balance Inquiry
- INtax (Business Taxes)
- Pay Electronically
- Make a Payment Plan
- Check Your Payment Status
- IFTA/MCFT Fuel Tax System
- IRP/BPR Processing
- OSW Permitting
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center