Close Menu

Main Content

USDOT/Indiana ID Number for Intrastate Carriers


USDOT Number Requirements

Who must have a USDOT number?
You must mark your vehicle with a USDOT number if you operate a commercial motor vehicle transporting property or passengers interstate and/or intrastate and:

  • Have a GVWR or GCVW of 10,001 lbs. or more;
  • Use the vehicle to transport more than nine passengers (including the driver); or
  • Use the vehicle to transport placardable amounts of hazardous materials.

See page 21 of the Commercial Motor Vehicle Guidebook.

What/who are the exceptions?
You are not required to get a USDOT number if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • Your vehicle weighs less than 10,000 lbs.;
  • You transport passengers and your seating capacity is eight or fewer;
  • Your vehicle is farm-plated and you transport your own goods; or
  • You are a private carrier transporting nonhazardous materials and your truck and/or trailer with combination weight is less than 26,001 lbs.

Indiana ID Number Requirements

What is an Indiana ID number?

This is a number specific for carriers who operate for hire. This number identifies the carrier and allows them to legally operate intrastate.

Who needs an Indiana ID number?

  • If you’re a carrier that operates for hire; weighs less than 10,001 lbs.; and transports general freight, you need to apply for an Indiana ID number and file insurance.
  • If you transport passengers for hire and your seating capacity is eight or fewer, you need to apply for an Indiana ID number.

Things to Remember

  • You must file a Form E, which is an insurance form you will need for a USDOT or an Indiana identification number if you are an intrastate for-hire carrier and/or a private hazardous-materials carrier. Your insurance company can provide you with a Form E. If you have active FHWA/MC authority, you do not have to submit Form E.
  • Renew annually with Motor Carrier Services.
  • Don’t forget your vehicle markings! It is important that your vehicle’s markings follow all the guidelines. More information can be found in the Commercial Motor Vehicle Guidebook on pages 21 and 22.

USDOT/Indiana ID number Checklist.






News and FAQs

Top FAQs