International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) License
If you operate interstate motor vehicles, a fuel tax account, IFTA license, and IFTA decals are required.
You are considered an interstate carrier if you operate vehicles that travel in two or more states that are used for transporting persons or property having:
- Three axles or more on the power unit, regardless of weight; or
- A combination of power unit and trailing unit with a combined gross vehicle weight or
combined registered weight in excess of 26,000 pounds.
You can apply for an IFTA license by submitting an IFTA-1A Application to the Indiana Department of Revenue. The application fee is $25. You will need to provide the following information when applying for the IFTA license:
The following information must be provided when applying for the IFTA license:
- Proof of a valid Indiana physical address and/or income tax filings with DOR (last three tax
- IRP account number or copies of Indiana Farm or Transporter Plate Registrations; and
- USDOT number issued to you, your business, or a DOT authority lease agreement.
You will need an IFTA license for licensing and filing requirements for your entire fleet if you have vehicles with:
- International Registration Plan plates and travel outside of Indiana; or
- Indiana base plates and travel only within Indiana.
If you operate vehicles that travel only in Indiana, a fuel tax account is required. You are considered an intrastate carrier if you transport persons or property having:
Three axles or more, regardless of weight; or
A combination of power unit and trailing unit with a combined gross vehicle weight or combined registered weight in excess of 26,000 pounds.
If you operate only in Indiana and meet the above criteria, you must apply for an Intrastate Motor Carrier Fuel Tax (MCFT) license.