Welcome to DOR's Tax Talk Blog
Tax Talk is a weekly blog published each Wednesday by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) that discusses tax tips, DOR programs, and helpful information for tax preparers. During tax season blogs are posted on both Mondays and Wednesdays.
Most Recent Blog Posts
2019 Tax Season Preliminary Recap
April 24, 2019
Congratulations! Hoosiers have survived another tax season. At this time of year, DOR is still processing the large influx of paper returns sent in at the last minute. However, we are also reflecting on our services, what we can do better and the numbers of many preliminary statistics from this tax season.
Tax season opened on January 28, 2019 and the 2019 Tax Day was April 15, 2019. The total number of returns filed as of April 22 is 3.02 million individual returns.
Nearly 1.8 million returns processed generated a refund. Additionally, the average refund was $290. Processing time for refunds averaged 10.49 days for electronically-filed returns and 21.16 days for paper-filed returns. In 2018, the average processing time was 11.71 days and 42.73 days, respectively.
Call Center Statistics
Throughout tax season DOR’s call center answered 195,169 calls, with an average wait time of 10 minutes and 57 seconds.
Fraud Prevention So far in 2019, over $4.87 million in attempted tax return fraud has been stopped by DOR. This includes both:
- Stolen identity refund fraud: $655,672.
- Returns with fraudulent credits and deductions: $4,214,791.
2019 Tax Season Ends Today! Be Sure You Filed Your Taxes
April 15, 2019
The 2019 individual tax season deadline is today, Monday, April 15, 2019. As the season ends, be sure you have filed your individual income taxes to avoid fees or penalties. If you are unable to file your individual taxes before the deadline you may file for an extension.
You still have time to file your state and federal taxes electronically or by mail. As long as the postmark date is April 15, your filing is considered on time.
You can still file electronically today to meet the deadline. Also, filing electronically offers many convenient benefits including:
- Faster refunds – In most cases, electronically-submitted returns are processed faster than paper-filed returns. Please note that some tax returns may take longer to process due to factors like return errors or incomplete information. Additionally, the Indiana Department of Revenue screens every return in order to protect taxpayer IDs and refunds.
- Get more or pay less – E-filing software may suggest credits and deductions about which you might not have known.
- Better accuracy – Electronically-filed returns have a two percent error rate versus 20 percent for paper returns. Common math errors are avoided because the vendor software completes the calculations for you.
- Convenience – You can file online (and use INfreefile) 24/7!
As always, DOR’s team is here to help! You may contact DOR’s Customer Service Division at 317-232-2240 if you have any questions about your individual return or filing your taxes.