Indiana Tax Clearance
A tax clearance is an official confirmation provided by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) that no tax is due by the business or individual.
If you have received a tax protest letter requesting you get a tax clearance from DOR, it might be due to:
- An outstanding liability with DOR
- Not being registered as an Indiana taxpayer
- Missing tax returns
- No current tax account(s)
In some cases, DOR may hold the renewal of any license issued by the State of Indiana until all tax issues have been resolved.
DOR issues tax clearances for the following:
- Alcohol and Tobacco License - You can renew and/or get an alcohol license issued on the, Alcohol and Tobacco Commission website. Please note that if you are applying for a license in Marion County, you will need to also complete and send DOR a Tax Clearance Form.
- Dealer License - You can renew or get a dealer license through the Secretary of State website.
- Hoosier Lottery Retailer - For information about the renewal/issuance of a Hoosier Lottery Retailer License, visit The Hoosier Lottery website.
- Professional License - For information about the renewal/issuance of a Professional License, visit the Indiana Professional License website.
- University Contractors
To receive a tax clearance for any of the above licenses, you must meet the following requirements:
- All tax returns must be filed up-to-date.
- All outstanding delinquencies must be paid in full.
- All payments must be made using guaranteed funds
All payments must be made with guaranteed funds to satisfy all outstanding liabilities. Failure to use guaranteed funds will result in a delay in clearances until such time that DOR has confirmation that all funds have cleared the banking institution.
You may elect to pay online through our DORpay system. However, paying by this method will also delay clearance until DOR has confirmation that all funds have cleared the banking institution.
To expedite the clearance of your license protest, all correspondence, payments and missing returns must be sent directly to the license area of the payment services division If this information is sent through normal channels, it could delay the clearance on your license protest.
Please mail any required documentation for the tax clearance to:
Indiana Department of Revenue
100 N Senate Ave., MS 111
Indianapolis, IN 46204