Indiana Tax Clearance
If you have received a tax protest letter requesting you get a tax clearance from the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR), it might be due to:
- An outstanding liability with the Department
- Not being registered as an Indiana taxpayer
- Missing tax returns
- No current tax account(s)
In some cases, DOR may hold the renewal of any license issued by the State of Indiana until all tax issues have been resolved.
DOR issues tax clearances for the following:
- Alcohol and Tobacco License - You can renew and/or get an alcohol license issued on the, Alcohol and Tobacco Commission website. Please note that if you are applying for a license in Marion County, you will need to also complete and send DOR a Tax Clearance Form
- Dealer License - You can renew or get a dealer license through the Secretary of State website.
- Hoosier Lottery Retailer - For information about the renewal/issuance of a Hoosier Lottery Retailer License, visit The Hoosier Lottery website.
- Professional License - For information about the renewal/issuance of a Professional License, visit the Indiana Professional License website.
- University Contractors
To receive a tax clearance for any of the above licenses, you must meet the following requirements:
- All tax returns must be filed up-to-date.
- All outstanding delinquencies must be paid in full.
- All payments must be made using guaranteed funds
All payments must be made with guaranteed funds to satisfy all outstanding liabilities. Failure to use guaranteed funds will result in a delay in clearances until such time the Department has confirmation that all funds have cleared the banking institution.
You may elect to pay online through our ePay system. However, paying by this method will also delay clearance until the Department has confirmation that all funds have cleared the banking institution.
To expedite the clearance of your license protest, all correspondence, payments and missing returns must be sent directly to the license area of the collection division. If this information is sent through normal channels, it could delay the clearance on your license protest.
Please mail any required documentation for the tax clearance to:
Indiana Department of Revenue
100 N Senate Ave., MS 111
Indianapolis, IN 46204
For more information regarding Alcohol and Tobacco license tax clearances, contact the Department’s Compliance Check Unit at (317) 232-5977.