Self Help and Common Bulk Filing Error Questions
The following FAQ’s are directed towards SFTP Bulk Filers and building accurate files for submission. Uploading a file through INTax is not considered “bulk filing”. For INTax FAQ’s please reference the INTax Business Center.
If you still have unanswered questions regarding electronic media filing after reviewing the IRS 1220 material and the W-2 material, you can contact the Indiana Department of Revenue.
Electronic Filing Coordinator
Indiana Department of Revenue
100 N. Senate Ave. Room: N248
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- How can business taxes be filed electronically?
- Can wage statements be submitted on CD’s, disks or removable USB storage devices?
The DOR does not accept DVDs, diskettes, CDs, removable USB storage devices or 3480/3490 cartridges.
- Can I use INTax for bulk filing?
Uploading a file through INTax is not considered “bulk filing”. For INTax FAQ’s please reference the INTax Business Center.
- Can I send in paper copies of my WH-3 and wage statements?
Starting on January 1, 2013, any employer that filed more than 25 total withholding statements in a calendar year are required to file their annual WH-3 and their employees’ W-2s electronically. This law (IC 6-3-4-16.5) applies to all withholding statements filed after December 31, 2012.
Any employer that has less than 25 total wage statements (W-2, W-2G, 1099) can still file the WH-3 and corresponding wage statements by paper.
- Why do I have to file the 1099R’s when Indiana participates in the combined Federal/State program?
Not all companies participate in the program. Moreover, the IRS does not send the state the county income and tax that was withheld.
- Who should I file a 1099R for?
File a 1099R for any individual that had Indiana state taxes withheld. County taxes are not withheld as many recipients live out of state. If county taxes are owed it is the responsibility of the taxpayer to pay them.
- Do Casinos have to file wage statements for winnings?
Casinos have to file W-2Gs for all individuals that they have withheld taxes from.
- How are electronic payments submitted?
You may submit your payments through EFT, INtax or by check. There is also a way to submit a payment through SFTP Bulk Filing in conjunction with the WH-1 but files must be tested and certified prior to being eligible to submit live production files.
- Is text file format allowed on SFTP Bulk filing?
As of 2016, any WH-1 that is submitted through the SFTP Bulk filing must be submitted in xml file format. Any new registrant for WH-3 and wage statement submission through SFTP Bulk filing, only the XML version is available. Text is only available for companies re-registering with the department and have sent text files through SFTP bulk filing previously.
- Do we have to use the Indiana Department of Revenue’s Website to make our payments?
- If our IT department is not ready in January with the file formatting, can we pay through our bank and file the WH-1 on paper?
- When filing the W2G or the 1099R, what information is needed for the K record?
The only records we need for the W2G and 1099R are the T, A B and F.
SFTP Bulk Filing and File Building
- What is the SFTP host name?
The host name should be SFTP.DOR.IN.GOV
- Why did I not receive an e-mail acknowledgement after my file submission?
Here are the common reasons that a submitted file was never acknowledged:
Indiana follows a strict naming convention. If it is not adhered to, the file will not be linked to the registration, acknowledged or posted to the system of record.
The file was not encrypted with only the Indiana Public key and could not be decrypted. The Indian Public Key can be requested by e-mailing email@example.com.
The correct acknowledgement recipient has not been updated. DOR recommends that a generic e-mail be used so changes do not have to be done each time there is a staff change.
You have signed up for encrypted acknowledgments and have provided DOR with your key. The acknowledgment will only be sent to your SFTP out folder.
- Will INTax accept a WH-3 file with the numerical county code missing?
The file upload will not fail but if there are county wages or tax reported, the file will not fully submit until the county code is manually fixed within INtax.
- Can a PDF file format be uploaded into INTax?
No. INTax will only accept a properly formatted fixed length flat file text file. Indiana follows the IRS specifications, EFW2 for W-2’s or IRS 1220 for W-2G’s and 1099’s.
- My submit button will not activate in INTax after my file has been uploaded. What are some common issues?
When using the Chrome browser, there has been incompatibility errors that will not allow the file to be submitted. If you encounter this error, please use another web browser to open the INTax portal. If the file will not submit after using another web browser, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the difference between INTax file upload and the SFTP Bulk filing process?
INTax file upload
SFTP Bulk filing Process
- Requires registration through the INTax portal
- Does not require testing to upload a file
- Has a size limit of 2 MB and will not accept any larger file size
- The file must be formatted fixed length flat text file. Indiana follows the IRS specifications, EFW2 for W-2’s or IRS 1220 for W-2G’s and 1099’s
- The file is not encrypted
- Requires registration
- Requires 2 accepted and passed test files before being certified for live production files
- No size limit
- Any new registrant for WH-3 and wage statement submission through SFTP Bulk filing, only the XML version is available. Fixed length flat text file is only available for companies re-registering with the department and have sent text files through SFTP bulk filing previously