Most documents on this CD (where available) are in various Microsoft Office formats or Portable Document (PDF) format. If you don't have Microsoft Office, you can download a free office suite for various platforms from http://www.openoffice.org/ which will allow you to read the Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents. A free reader for PDF documents can be downloaded from http://www.adobe.com/reader/
Note: All presentations and documents on this CD are property of their authors. Use of this information requires the express written consent of its author(s).
Click here for the meeting agenda.
Monday, December 8 2008
NPDES Permitting & Reporting: Spill Prevention Control;
Countermeasures & Reporting; and
Overview of Hach Water Testing Equipment Usage:
- Rose McDaniel, IDEM
- Andy Stinchfield, IDEM
- Catherine Hess, IDEM
- Brian Simpkiss, Hach Co.
New Ways of Seeing into the Earth (previously called Technologies in the 21st Century):
- Michael Sharp, OK Conservation District
- Christopher Stohr, IL Geological Survey
- Deborah Dale, OSM-Alton, Borehole video here
- Alan Witte, Martin-Marietta
- Nelson Shaffer, IN Geological Survey.
- Robert McClure, R.A. McClure Inc.
- Michael (Mick) Fritz, Carbo*Prill
- John Brown, Drill & Blast Solutions
- Michael Piechocki, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
Tuesday, December 9th 2008
Update on the Indiana Geological Survey
- Dr. John Steinmetz, State Geologist, Indiana Geological Survey
Update on the latest programs and accomplishments of the Indiana Geological Survey.
Office of Surface Mining Update
- Andy Gilmore, Chief-Alton Field Division
Office of Surface Mining. 2008 initiatives including technology transfer, rule changes, AML funding increases, and research.
Reconnaissance of Coal Slurry Deposits in Indiana
- Denver Harper, Geologist-Center for Geospatial Data Analysis, Indiana Geological Survey
Overview of a project to map coal-slurry deposits and estimate their volumes using aerial imagery, geological records, and geographic information systems (GIS).
Underground Coal Gasification
- Marty Irwin, Director, Center for Coal Technology Research, Purdue University
The latest breakthroughs on underground coal gasification for energy uses.
Renewables as Use for Carbon Credits
- Heath Norrick, Manager-Renewable Energy, Hoosier Energy
What Hoosier Energy is doing toward renewable energy and its use in carbon credits.
Problems with Carbon Dioxide Infiltration into Residences Constructed Upon Reclaimed Surface Mines
- William Ehler, Project Manager-Federal Reclamation Project Division, Office of Surface Mining, Appalachian Region Office
Overview on carbon dioxide problems found in homes built on surface mined land.
Latest Innovations in Stream Restoration
- George Athanasakes, Ecosystem Restoration Practice Leader, Stantec, Inc.
Most recent experiences and innovations in restoration of streams.
The Appalachian Region Reforestation Initiative and the Forestry Reclamation Approach
- Vic Davis, Forester, Appalachian Regional Reforestation Initiative, Office of Surface Mining
Highly productive forestland can be created on reclaimed mine land using a Forestry Reclamation Approach leading to multiple benefits, including carbon sequestration, timber production, and much more.
OSM’s Proposed Coal Combustion By-Products Rule
- John Craynon, Chief, Division of Regulatory Support, OSM, Washington D.C.
The latest information on OSM’s Potential Coal Ash Rule.
Indiana Coal Bed Methane Issues: Ownership of CBM; CBM-Coal Production Conflicts; Appurtenant Right Limitations Based on Severance Lines
- John E. Rhine, partner, Rhine Ernest LLP
Focuses on 3 areas of the law which are of great current interest:
- ownership of coal bed methane in Indiana
- conflicts between CBM production & protection of coal reserves and
- Appurtenant surface rights limitation with specific application to CBM operators, especially with regard to access and pipelines.
Overview of New MSHA Rules & Regulations—What is in Effect and What’s to Come
- David Whitcomb, Assistant District Manager (Technical), Mine Safety & Health Administration
New law requirements and the initiatives pertaining to them.
Caol Gasification Energy Products for Indiana
- Gerald Hill, Senior Engineer, Science Applications, International Corporation at Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center
Initiatives in the coal to liquids energy field.