For information about the Indiana State Fair, including dates and directions, please visit their website.
DNR State Fair Fishin' Pond
The Fishin’ Pond, started in 2006, gives children ages 5-17 the chance to fish for free during the State Fair. Each year, thousands of kids fish at the pond. For many of them, it is their first fishing experience. The program would not be such a success without the help of wonderful volunteers.
Registration for State Fair Fishin’ Pond shifts occurs from mid-May through mid-August. Would you like to volunteer? DNR recruits hundreds of people to help during the fair. Volunteers receive free admission to the fair, a free T-shirt, and the opportunity to fish with kids for a few hours at the pond. If you don’t like touching worms, getting fishy, or standing in the sun, we also have other volunteer needs. The pond has four volunteer stations, and each volunteer session is four hours:
- Guides: You will show families where to register, guide them to available fishing stations, and help where extra hands are needed.
- Registration: You will help parents register their kids to fish.
- Fishing: You will work directly with the kids and their families around the pond. You will assist 2-3 kids at a time during their fishing experience and help bait hooks, cast the cane pole, catch fish, and return fish to the water.
- Equipment: You will tie knots to hooks and supply the fishing crew with ready-to-go cane poles.
If you are interested in volunteering at the State Fair Fishin’ Pond, please click on the name of the job you would like to sign up for, and you will be directed to the appropriate sign-up page that will list all of the available dates and times for that job.
Another way to register for a shift
- Sign in using your volunteer username and password
- Click “Register for an Upcoming Event”
- Select event by station (e.g., State Fair Fishin’ Pond – FISHING)
- Choose time slot by clicking the circle next to desired shift(s)
- Click “Register” at bottom of page (the green checkmark shows you’re good to go – you’ll receive a confirmation email)
Thank you for making our goal to grow a love for fishing in kids across Indiana possible.
If you need additional assistance or have questions, email DNRStateFairFishingPond@dnr.IN.gov