Indiana Dunes State Park Pavilion Restoration
The historic Indiana Dunes State Park Pavilion was constructed in 1929-30. It is an iconic representation of the park’s early history and use. It once contained a fine-dining restaurant. Over the years, its functionality changed, and the DNR was unable to adequately fund interior restoration and maintenance. The facility’s aging restrooms did not meet the needs of visitors. A small concession operated during summer, as did a lifeguard office. The remaining space was storage.
With a desire to restore this facility to its original use and care for it appropriately, the State has entered into a lease with Pavilion Partners, LLC, for adaptive reuse of the structure and the addition of a banquet center that is compatible with the nature of this historic building and the unique natural features of the site. The contract was established in 2014 and a new restroom/comfort station/facility opened during the summer of 2015, built entirely at the expense of Pavilion Partners. Initial demolition of the Pavilion’s interior commenced in 2015.
The contract was established in 2014 and amended in 2017-18 to address specifications related to the Land and Water Conservation Fund. A new restroom/comfort station/facility opened during the summer of 2015, built entirely at the expense of Pavilion Partners. Initial demolition of the Pavilion’s interior commenced in 2015 and construction is expected to begin following final plan approval.
The most recently updated plans for the Pavilion interior as reviewed by the National Park Service (NPS) are now posted in the DOCUMENTS section below, along with the accompanying correspondence with NPS. The lease was amended again (fully executed in April 2019) to include a timeline for completion of the Pavilion restoration portion of the project. This amendment, dated April 4 2019, is also posted in the DOCUMENTS section. Construction on the Pavilion began in April 2019.
An additional amendment was established in 2020 to further clarify completion dates for the Pavilion restoration. This amendment, dated December 2, 2020, is posted in the DOCUMENTS section.
We continue to welcome your questions and suggestions for ensuring that great visitor experiences continue to be provided for both beachgoers and users of the Pavilion services and the banquet center. Share your thoughts or ask questions by emailing DunesPavilion@dnr.IN.gov. Questions, comments and our responses will be periodically reviewed and responses provided. Subscribe to be notified when this page is updated.
This page was last updated Dec. 11, 2020.
Process for establishing this public-private partnership
Conserving the environment
Banquet center design
Terms of lease
About Pavilion Partners
Finances and revenue
Use the latest version of Adobe Acrobat to view these PDF documents. These documents are listed in order of oldest to most recent.
- Asbestos Abatement, April 1993
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Permit, June 15, 2011
- Legal Ads Placed for Pavilion Project, Dec. 2011
- Names and Dates of those that Requested Prospectus, Dec. 2011-Feb. 2012
- Dunes Renaissance, Inc. Proposal, Feb. 2012
- NRC Minutes Approval for Project Negotiations to Begin, May 15, 2012
- Division of Water Floodplain Analysis, Jan. 22, 2015
- DHPA Project Review and Approval, Jan. 28, 2015
- Early Coordination/Environmental Review Request, Jan. 30, 2015
- Pavilion Construction Design Release, Feb. 6, 2015
- DHPA Archaeology Workplan-Request for Approval, Feb. 19, 2015
- Original DNR RFP, Pavilion Partners Proposal and Fully Executed Lease, Feb. 26, 2015
- DHPA Archaeology Workplan-Approval, March 6, 2015
- DHPA Interim Archaeological Report, June 9, 2015
- Pavilion Partners Fact Sheet, July 16, 2015
- IN Dunes Tourism Statement and Q&A, July 16, 2015
- Comfort Station Construction Design Release, Feb 17, 2015
- Comfort Station Plans for Construction, May 5, 2015
- Full Comfort Station Design Release, July 1, 2015
- Emergency Rule LSA Document #16-273(E) (Definition of State Park), June 30, 2016
- Emergency Rule LSA Document #16-274 (Consumption of Alcohol), June 30, 2016
- NPS Review of Pavilion Work, Sept. 16, 2016
- PP-DNR Lease Amendment, Dec. 12, 2016
- Legislative Services Hearing Officer Report on Alcohol Rule, Dec. 15, 2016
- Pavilion Renovation Plans Aug. 31, 2017
- Pavillion Construction Release, Sept. 5, 2017
- ACHP Letter to PEER Supporting LWCF Decision that no Additional Review of Pavilion Plans are Required, Oct. 5, 2017
- NPS Memo Regarding Buildings Built Before LWCF Section (6)(f)(3) (Jan. 2014 - Referenced in ACHP Letter Above)
- PP-DNR Lease Amendment, Jan. 11, 2018
- NPS Response to DNR Plan Changes, May 15, 2018
- Pavilion Renovation Plans, July 31, 2018
- DNR Letter to NPS about Revised Pavilion Plans, Aug. 29, 2018
- NPS Response to Revised Pavilion Plans, Oct. 4, 2018
- Special Prosecutor Letter, Dec. 27, 2018
- PP-DNR Lease Amendment, April 4, 2019
- *PP-DNR Lease Amendment, Dec. 2, 2020
Public records requests related to the Dunes Pavilion project can be sent to DunesPavilion@dnr.IN.gov.