The Coastal Advisory Board provides a public forum for diverse stakeholders to assist with the implementation of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program.
Voting members of the Coastal Advisory Board are selected by the director of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR). Nominations will be solicited every two years for board positions, and every year for “rotating” positions – Local Economic Development, and Citizen at Large. Non-voting members will be selected by the designated agency.
- Membership Responsibilities
Members of the Coastal Advisory Board shall:
- Consider regional issues affecting Lake Michigan coastal resources and reflect a balance between preservation, protection, restoration, and when possible, development for this and succeeding generations;
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on priorities and guidance for the Coastal Grants Program with the assistance of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program and the general public; and
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on nominations for Coastal Areas of Significance.
Members serve two-year appointments. Vacancies in the membership are filled by the DNR director or the designated agency.
The Coastal Advisory Board elects a chairperson and vice chair from among its membership by a simple majority vote every year at the April meeting.
- Current Board Members
Terms for the Chair and Vice Chair are one (1) year in duration. Members may serve in the position for a maximum of two (2) terms.
2019 – 2021 Board Members
Local Government and Citizens:
Lake County City or Town – Ross Pietrzak, City of Hobart, Zoning Administrator
Porter County City or Town – Donna Norkus, Beverly Shores, Town Council President
LaPorte County City or Town – Bob Lemay, Long Beach Town Council President
Citizen (LaPorte County) – Brian Breidert, (Retired) Former DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife employee
Coastal Land Use:
Local Economic Development (Porter County) – Katie Rizer, Coffee Creek Watershed Conservancy, Executive Director
Industry and Business – James Alexander, Nisource Corporate Services, Team Leader of Environmental Policy group
Tourism - Vacant
Local Planner (At Large) – Skyler York, Michigan City, Assistant Planner
Environmental Advocacy – Natalie Johnson, Save the Dunes, Executive Director (Chair)
Local Parks and Recreation – Jeremy Sobecki, LaPorte County Parks and Recreation, Superintendent
Indiana Dunes National Park – Lynda Lancaster, Indiana Dunes National Park, Program Manager-Partnership (Vice-Chair)
Local Natural Resource Management – Eric Bird, Shirley Heinze Land Trust, Stewardship Director
Historical/Cultural Resources - Brad Miller, Calumet Region – Indiana Landmarks and Historic Preservation, Director of the Indiana Landmarks Northwest Field Office
IN Dept of Environmental Management – Michael Spinar, LAMP/RAP Coordinator
NIRPC - Kathy Luther, Environmental Director
US Fish and Wildlife Service - Elizabeth McCloskey, NISO Biologist
US EPA - Elizabeth Hinchey Malloy, US EPA Great Lakes National Program Office
Universities - Young Choi, Purdue University Northwest
Agriculture - Keith Gustafson, Gustafson Family Farm, Porter County SWCD
IL IN Sea Grant - Leslie Dorworth, Purdue University Northwest
US Army Corps - Vacant
Regional Development Authority – Jill Huber, Grants Manager
- Officer Responsibilities
- Ensures the effective action of the Coastal Advisory Board;
- Develops agendas for meetings in concert with the DNR LMCP;
- Presides at board meetings;
- Recommends to the Board which, if any, committees are to be established. Seeks volunteers for committees and coordinates individual board member assignments. Makes sure each committee has a chairperson, and stays in touch with chairpersons to be sure that their work is carried out; identifies committee recommendations that should be presented to the full board;
- Determines whether special Board meetings are necessary and convenes the Board accordingly; and
- Ensures that board matters are handled properly, including preparation of pre-meeting materials, committee functioning, and coordination with DNR LMCP.
- Serves as the Chair, in the Chair’s absence;
- Assists the Chair in Board operation