Lake Michigan Coastal Program Advisory Board
The Coastal Advisory Board provides a public forum for diverse stakeholders to assist with the implementation of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program.
- Membership Responsibilities
Members of the Coastal Advisory Board shall:
- Consider regional issues affecting Lake Michigan coastal resources and reflect a balance between preservation, protection, restoration, and when possible, development for this and succeeding generations;
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on priorities and guidance for the Coastal Grants Program with the assistance of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program and the general public; and
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on nominations for Coastal Areas of Significance.
Members serve two-year appointments. Vacancies in the membership are filled by the DNR director or the designated agency.
The Coastal Advisory Board elects a chairperson and vice chair from among its membership by a simple majority vote every year at the April meeting.
- Current Board Members
Terms for the Chair and Vice Chair are one (1) year in duration. Members may serve in the position for a maximum of two (2) terms.
2019 – 2021 Board Members
Local Government and Citizens:
Lake County City or Town – Ross Pietrzak, City of Hobart, Zoning Administrator
Porter County City or Town – Donna Norkus, Beverly Shores, Town Council President
LaPorte County City or Town – Vacant
Citizen (LaPorte County) – Brian Breidert, (Retired) Former DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife employee
Coastal Land Use:
Local Economic Development (Porter County) – Vacant
Industry and Business – James Alexander, Nisource Corporate Services, Team Leader of Environmental Policy group
Tourism - Vacant
Local Planner (At Large) – Vacant
Environmental Advocacy – Natalie Johnson, Save the Dunes, Executive Director
Local Parks and Recreation – Jeremy Sobecki, LaPorte County Parks and Recreation, Superintendent
Indiana Dunes National Park – Lynda Lancaster, Indiana Dunes National Park, Program Manager-Partnership (Chair)
Local Natural Resource Management – Eric Bird, Shirley Heinze Land Trust, Stewardship Director (Vice-Chair)
Historical/Cultural Resources - Brad Miller, Calumet Region – Indiana Landmarks and Historic Preservation, Director of the Indiana Landmarks Northwest Field Office
IN Dept of Environmental Management – Michael Spinar, LAMP/RAP Coordinator
NIRPC - Kathy Luther, Environmental Director
US Fish and Wildlife Service - Elizabeth McCloskey, NISO Biologist
US EPA - Elizabeth Hinchey Malloy, US EPA Great Lakes National Program Office
Universities - Young Choi, Purdue University Northwest
Agriculture - Keith Gustafson, Gustafson Family Farm, Porter County SWCD
IL IN Sea Grant - Leslie Dorworth, Purdue University Northwest
US Army Corps - Vacant
Regional Development Authority – Jill Huber, Grants Manager
- Officer Responsibilities
- Ensures the effective action of the Coastal Advisory Board;
- Develops agendas for meetings in concert with the DNR LMCP;
- Presides at board meetings;
- Recommends to the Board which, if any, committees are to be established. Seeks volunteers for committees and coordinates individual board member assignments. Makes sure each committee has a chairperson, and stays in touch with chairpersons to be sure that their work is carried out; identifies committee recommendations that should be presented to the full board;
- Determines whether special Board meetings are necessary and convenes the Board accordingly; and
- Ensures that board matters are handled properly, including preparation of pre-meeting materials, committee functioning, and coordination with DNR LMCP.
- Serves as the Chair, in the Chair’s absence;
- Assists the Chair in Board operation