The Coastal Advisory Board provides a public forum for diverse stakeholders to assist with the implementation of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program.
- Membership Responsibilities
Members of the Coastal Advisory Board shall:
- Consider regional issues affecting Lake Michigan coastal resources and reflect a balance between preservation, protection, restoration, and when possible, development for this and succeeding generations;
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on priorities and guidance for the Coastal Grants Program with the assistance of the Lake Michigan Coastal Program and the general public; and
- Make recommendations to the DNR director on nominations for Coastal Areas of Significance.
Members serve two-year appointments. Vacancies in the membership are filled by the DNR director or the designated agency.
The Coastal Advisory Board elects a chairperson and Vice Chair from among its membership by a simple majority vote every year at the April meeting.
- Current Board Members
Terms for the Chair and Vice Chair are one (1) year in duration. Members may serve in the position for a maximum of two (2) terms.
2023 – 2025 Board Members
Citizen - Samantha Fazekas, Porter County Resident
Youth Leadership - Jillian Burton
- Officer Responsibilities
- Ensures the effective action of the Coastal Advisory Board;
- Develops agendas for meetings in concert with the DNR LMCP;
- Presides at board meetings;
- Recommends to the Board which, if any, committees are to be established. Seeks volunteers for committees and coordinates individual board member assignments. Makes sure each committee has a chairperson, and stays in touch with chairpersons to be sure that their work is carried out; identifies committee recommendations that should be presented to the full board;
- Determines whether special Board meetings are necessary and convenes the Board accordingly; and
- Ensures that board matters are handled properly, including preparation of pre-meeting materials, committee functioning, and coordination with DNR LMCP.
- Serves as the Chair, in the Chair’s absence;
- Assists the Chair in Board operation