Archaeology Month Posters & T-Shirts
The Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) is pleased to present the commemorative poster for Indiana Archaeology Month 2018. To obtain a poster, you may either visit the DHPA (at 402 W. Washington Street, Room W274, Indianapolis), pick up a poster at an Indiana Archaeology Month event where the DHPA archaeology staff will be participating, or contact the office at 317-232-6982 for individual posters.
Please note that in 2018 will not be offering commemorative T-shirts.
All of the artifacts featured on this poster were recovered from archaeological sites in Indiana. Items such as these can provide insights into the lives of children and adults, in particular regarding what would have been available for play in Hoosier homes of the past. Artifacts represented include (clockwise, from top): Die-cast metal miniature racing car, porcelain doll head, bone domino, molded plastic toy soldier, glazed stoneware Bennington “Fancy" marble, yellow ware toy chamber pot, porcelain figurine, molded plastic toy dinosaur, high-fired decorated clay marble, wooden die, die-cast metal miniature steam locomotive, and metal toy Ford car hubcap.
The domino, die, and the hubcap were recovered from site 12Ma979, a multi-component archaeological resource that contained an extensive 19th/20th century urban component located in downtown Indianapolis (Favret and Leary 2016).
- The miniature steam locomotive was found in a mixed late 19th/early 20th century stratum at the Baum's Landing site (12C700) in Carroll County. Read more about the archaeological investigations at this site in the journal Indiana Archaeology (articles beginning on pages 35 and 39 of https://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/hp-2015_ArchaeologyJournal.pdf).
- The plastic soldier and the decorated marble are from excavations at the Keppler House (12Po1316), a Harmonist era site in New Harmony (Strezewski 2014:31).
- 12Al2200 yielded the miniature racing car and the plastic dinosaur (McCullough and Hipskind 2014). This is a Late Prehistoric/Historic site in Fort Wayne.
- The figurine was found at 12Ow528, the Peden springhouse at McCormick’s Creek State Park. The springhouse is part of a homestead dating from the mid-to-late 1800s to the early 1900s.
- The Bennington “Fancy” marble was recovered from archaeological site 12Je490 at the Lanier State Historic Site. The Greek Revival mansion, which J.F.D. Lanier had built at the site between 1840-1846, is of historical and cultural importance to Indiana (Wepler 2000:ii).
- Excavations at the Gronauer Lock Site (12Al1674) in Allen County resulted in the discovery of the miniature chamber pot and the doll’s head. This lock (timber-frame design) was part of the Wabash and Erie Canal and was completed around 1840 (Parish 1993).
Favret, Amy C., and Christopher Leary
2016 Management Summary and National Register Recommendations for the Archaeological Monitoring and Investigations at Site 12Ma979, The Indianapolis Downtown Transit Center Project, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana (DHPA #14893). AECOM, Cincinnati, OH.
McCullough, Dorothea, and Scott Hipskind
2014 An Archaeological Records Review and Phase Ia Reconnaissance of the Proposed Outfall 61 and 62 Sanitary Sewer Improvements, City of Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana. McCullough Archaeological Services, LLC, Indianapolis, IN.
1993 Archaeological Investigations at the Gronauer Lock # 2, Allen County, Indiana.
Report of Investigation #39. Archaeological Resources Management Service, Ball State University, Muncie, IN.
2014 Excavations at the Harmonist Dormitory # Complex, New Harmony, Indiana. University of Southern Indiana, Evansville, IN.
2000 J.F.D. Lanier State Historic Site Archaeology Project: Interim Report 2. Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis, IN.
The Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology thanks our colleagues at AECOM; Department of Anthropology, University of Indianapolis; IDNR, Division of Forestry; IDNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology; IDNR, McCormick’s Creek State Park; Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites; McCullough Archaeological Services, LLC; and University of Southern Indiana for their kind permission for the use of the images/artifacts. We would also like to thank Nicole D. Arb of PEN Industries who designed this year's poster image.
The poster has been financed with federal funds from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service's Historic Preservation Fund, as administered by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology. However, the contents and opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the U.S. Department of the Interior, nor does the mention of trade names or commercial products constitute endorsement or recommendation by the U.S. Department of the Interior. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, or disability in its federally assisted programs. If you believe that you have been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please write to: Office of Equal Opportunity, National Park Service, 1849 C Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20240.