DHPA Jewish Historical Resources
Vigo County Jewish History Terre Haute, is Indiana’s ninth largest city and the county seat for Vigo County. The first indication of permanent white occupation coincided with the construction of Fort Harrison in 1811, while the first record of a Jew in Terre Haute is 1827 when Samuel Judah (1798-1869) of Vincennes purchased land in the county. He descended from a family of Spanish Jews, who traveled to Canada, then New York before coming to Indiana. Judah later served in the Indiana House of Representatives from 1827 to 1829 and from 1837 to 1841, acting as Speaker in 1840-1841. From 1829 to 1833, he was U. S. Attorney in Indiana.
Temple B'nai Abraham