Indiana Cemetery Heritage Sign Initiative
In recent years, the public has become more concerned with the condition of historic cemeteries. This increased public interest has resulted in in more people wanting to mark these important cultural sites with signage. This has led the Indiana Historical Bureau in conjunction with the DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) to create a special sign to commemorate and mark historic cemeteries. Starting in 2018, DHPA will be the sole agency administering this project.
The Cemetery Heritage Signage initiative has three purposes: to reinforce the importance of cemeteries as a resource for the interpretation of Indiana’s history; to bring attention to Indiana’s remaining cemeteries with a visual reminder of their importance; and to raise awareness of the people and groups working to preserve and maintain Indiana’s cemeteries.
To learn how to obtain a Cemetery Heritage Sign, contact DHPA at 317-234-1268 or dhpa@dnr.IN.gov.
- View our cemetery marker directory
- To see a list of known cemeteries in the state, visit our online, searchable database SHAARD
Other Cemetery Resources
- Cemetery Heritage Sign Application
- Cemetery & Burial Registry
- Cemetery & Gravestone Symbology
- Cemetery Sign Initiative
- Historic Cemetery Marker Directory
- Glossary of Cemetery Related Terms
- Cemetery Preservation
- Bibliography of Cemetery Related Texts
- Laws Regarding Cemeteries
- Websites Related to Cemetery & Genealogy Research