Historic Preservation Month Photo Contest
Paris Dunning House
Monroe County, IN
The Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology's Historic Preservation Month Photo Contest guidelines are:
- Images must be submitted as JPEG files. Printed photos will no longer be accepted. Each photo file must be less than 10MB and must have a completed entry form. Files should be sent, as attachments, to aborland@dnr.IN.gov. Please submit one photo and one entry form per email to ensure that the files do not exceed the size limits of state email accounts.
- New as of 2020: Photographers must select one of five contest categories on the entry form in which to enter their photo. The categories are: Color, Black & White, Kids (under age 18), Artistic, and Altered Image. Please see below for the parameters for the “Altered Image” category.
- Photographers must complete the entry form for each photo (limit of three photos per photographer).
- The deadline for the contest is the first Friday of April. Email submissions must be sent by 11:50 p.m. (ET) on the deadline date.
- Subject of the image must be in Indiana and be at least 50 years old.
- Images can be black and white or color and should be current (i.e., taken within the last two years).
- Photo and entry forms should be attached to an email to aborland@dnr.IN.gov. Please do not embed them into the email or use file-sharing (like Google docs, etc). Also, please do not screenshot the entry form. Photo collages will not be accepted.
Parameters for the “Altered Image” category:
Basic cropping and other minor adjustments, including spotting, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents, are acceptable and DO NOT require entering the Altered Image category; however, if the photo has been edited, enhanced, or manipulated for artistic purposed by applying special effects (colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.), the Altered Image category MUST BE selected. Organizers/judges reserve the right to move an obviously altered photo to the Altered Image category.
Note: Photos may be used for office displays and promotions for the photo contest, Historic Preservation Month, and historic preservation, in general. These will include social media. Photos will not be used in for-profit publications. Photographs will be judged by a panel consisting of representatives from the DNR and other preservationists and/or photographers.
Submit digital entries to: aborland@dnr.IN.gov