Underground Storage Tank Certification and Closures
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
except state-observed holidays
Indiana Dept. of Homeland Security
Indiana Government Center-South, Room E208
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2739
Apply for a new underground storage tank (UST) certification or renew your existing UST certification online:
Public Safety Portal
Note: When completing an online application, please use browsers Chrome or Edge; other browsers may experience issues.
Have the following information ready:
- Information about the person applying for the UST certification
- Information about UST certification
- Supporting documentation, including scanned copies
- Credit card or bank account information to pay for the fee
- Removals and Closures
Underground Storage Tank Removals
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) requires notification for underground storage tank removals. Please send the closure notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, call 317-232-1407.
In-Place Underground Storage Tank Closures
Per Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) rules, IDHS must provide an approval for in-place underground storage tank (UST) closures. In order to approve an in-place UST, the following must be provided in writing to email@example.com:
- Detailed project information including site map, date of closure and other relevant plans pertaining to the in-place closure
- Email address and phone number of the person to send approval to
The turnaround time for an approval letter is three business days. Unless requested by IDEM, IDHS does not expedite in-place closure approval requests.
Note: IDHS does not conduct site inspections for UST closures or removals.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Some answers are restatements of state statute; please see Certification of Underground Storage Tank Workers in the Indiana Code for reference.
Where do UST certifications come from?
The certifications for USTs are mainly done through the International Code Council (ICC).
What other states does Indiana have reciprocity with?
Indiana accepts reciprocity from the following states (and district): Alabama, District of Columbia, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Reciprocity is approved by the State Fire Marshal based on documentation from the Indiana Administrative Code.
Who is required to obtain UST certification?
IC 13-23-3 Sec. 1. (a) A person who supervises, manages, or directs the installation, retrofitting, testing, cathodic protection, or decommissioning of underground storage tanks shall submit evidence to the division that the person has successfully completed applicable examinations administered by either of the following:
(1) The International Fire Code Institute;
(2) Another independent testing agency whose examinations have been approved by the state fire marshal as being substantially similar.
(b) Renewal procedures pertaining to the certification examinations shall be as set forth in IC 13-23-3-4(a). A certificate expires two (2) years from the date a person successfully completes the examination referenced in subsection (a).
(c) Passing scores and retest requirements for the certification examinations shall be as set forth in Section 3.1 of this rule.
(d) Examination subjects are those as set forth in section 2 of this rule.
Who issues the certificates, and what goes into the process?
IC 13-23-3 Sec. 4. (a) Unless grounds exist to deny a certificate under IC 13-23-3-3(b), the state fire marshal shall issue a certificate to a person who does the following:
(1) Passes one (1) or more of the certification examination subjects under section 2 of this rule.
(2) Pays a certificate issuance fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) payable to the fire and building services fund.
(b) A person who had a certificate revoked under IC 13-23-3-3(b) may obtain a certificate from the state fire marshal only if the person files a performance bond in an amount prescribed in section 6 of this rule.
(c) A certificate: (1) shall identify which certification examination subjects were passed; and (2) is valid only for work within the scope of those subjects.
How long does UST certification last for?
IC 13-23-3 Sec. 4. (d) A certificate issued under subsection (a) expires two (2) years from the date the person successfully completes the examination to qualify to obtain a certificate.
Who receives UST certification?
IC 13-23-3 Sec. 4. (e) Upon payment of the required fee, as specified in subsection (a), any person who is certified or licensed to supervise, manage, or direct underground storage tank installation, retrofitting, testing, cathodic protection, or decommissioning in another state shall, without examination, be granted a certificate, provided the following:
(1) The person submits an application for reciprocity.
(2) No such person shall be granted a certificate in a category the person is not certified for in another state.
(3) The requirements for licensing in the other state are substantially similar to the requirements in force in Indiana.
(f) The department shall submit to the state fire marshal documented evidence that the certification or licensing is substantially similar to Indiana's underground storage tank certification examination. The state fire marshal shall grant or deny the certification. Application forms for reciprocity shall be provided by the division.