Visit the links below for information that will help you "weather" wintertime in Indiana.
Before a Winter Storm
Assemble an emergency supply kit with:
- Non-perishable food and water for three days, including a gallon of water per person, per day.
- Battery operated all hazards radio
- Extra batteries for radio and flashlight
- First aid kit
- Extra clothing, sturdy shoes, blankets, and personal hygiene items
- List of emergency phone numbers
- Important documents (copies of photo ID, social security card, insurance and banking information)
- Cash, especially small bills. Power outages can limit use of ATMs and credit cards.
- Special items (baby formula, insulin, life sustaining medication)
Create a family emergency plan that includes how to contact one another if you are not together when disaster strikes, and how and where to reassemble.
Prepare your home by:
- Insulating with weather stripping around doors and windowsills.
- Insulating pipes with plastic or newspapers and allow water from faucets to drip a little to avoid freezing.
- Learning how to shut off water valves if a pipe bursts.
- Removing dead tree branches from around your home. Ice and snow can cause limbs to snap and could do damage to your property.
During a Winter Storm
- Don't attempt to go out and get something.
- Make sure heat source is safe. Many fires start via unsafe heating.
- Keep items three feet away from heaters.
- Use floor mats for extra insulation.
- Move around to keep your blood circulating.
- If you are with someone, share body heat.
- If you are stranded in your car, do NOT attempt to get out and go find help unless its within 100 yards.
- Run the car 10 minutes each hour to keep warm, but make sure the tailpipe is not blocked or you may suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Winter Storm Terms
- Winter Storm Advisory: Cold, ice and heavy snow are expected.
- Winter Storm Watch: Heavy snow and ice are very possible over the next couple of days, so finalize preparations and listen to a weather radio or forecasts.
- Winter Storm Warning: Severe winter weather is in the area. Heavy snow and/or ice will begin soon.
- Blizzard: Strong winds over 35 mph along with snow that reduces visibility.
- Sleet: Rain that falls and turns into ice before it hits the ground.
- Freezing Rain: Rain that falls and turns to ice once it hits a surface.