Tips for Identifying Identity Theft
Here are some tips for identifying identity theft.
- Failing to receive bills or other mail
- Receiving cards or billing statements on accounts for which you did not apply
- Receiving calls from debt collectors or companies about merchandise or services you didn’t buy
- Seeing purchases on credit card statements that you didn’t approve
- Checking credit reports regularly
The following information was cited from: https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/pands/detail.do?ID=IdentityTheft and https://www.pnc.com/en/security-assurance/identity-theft-protection-FAQs.html
What do I do, if I suspect my identity has been stolen?
If you suspect that your identity has been stolen, IdentityTheft.gov recommends you follow these four steps.
1) Call the companies where the fraud occurred.
2) Place a fraud alert and get your credit report
3) Report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission.
File a criminal report to your local police department or the closest Indiana State Police Post.
Additional tips and information can be found at www.identitytheft.gov