The Indiana Judicial Nominating Commission is accepting applications for an upcoming vacancy on the Indiana Supreme Court.
Application materials are due electronically and in hard copy by 12:00 p.m. (Eastern) on February 4, 2022. Letters of recommendation must be received by February 4, 2022.
Application materials must be provided in hard copy and electronically submitted through the Indiana Courts Portal. Please sign into the Portal well in advance of submitting your application in case you need assistance with your login or password. Do not wait until the final submission day to sign into the Portal. If you are not sure how to sign in, see the help topic on signing in or creating an account.
After the application deadline passes, the Commission will announce the names of all candidates for the vacancy. Once the Commission has evaluated each application and determines whether to interview all or some of the applicants, the applications of the candidates to be interviewed become public records and may be posted on the Indiana Supreme Court’s website. See Ind. Code § 33-27-3-2(d).
Please direct any questions about the application process to Lyubov (Luba) Gore, Staff Attorney to the Commission, by email at email@example.com.
To be eligible for nomination by the Governor to the Indiana Supreme Court, an applicant must be a U.S. citizen, domiciled in Indiana, and have been either a member of the Indiana Bar for at least ten years or a judge of an Indiana Circuit, Superior, or Criminal Court for at least five years. Ind. Const., art. 7 § 10.
To apply, prepare the following application materials, which you will need to provide both in hard copy and electronically (see instructions below):
- Application Part One | Download MS Word
- Application Part Two | Download MS Word
- Statement of Economic Interests | Download PDF
- Waiver and Statement of Consent | Download PDF
- Supplemental Materials
- State Police Release Form (hard copy only, see below)
Required Supplemental Materials include:
- Military service documentation (if applicable)
- Writing samples
- Physician statement
- Educational transcripts
Note about transcripts: Certified versions are required for the original hard copy only; see hard copy instructions below. Certified versions are NOT required for the electronic copy, but if the certified copy provided by your school is a secure, electronic document, you may upload that as a separate file with your electronic application; see supplemental materials below.
Letters of Recommendation
The Nominating Commission will consider on behalf of each applicant a reasonable number of letters of recommendation. Judicial officers are permitted under the Code of Judicial Conduct to write on behalf of candidates on the basis of personal knowledge of the candidates’ qualifications.
- Letters must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letters will be shared with all members of the Commission, including those sent to individual Commission members
- Letters about an applicant will also be shared with the applicant prior to the final interview
Instructions for Electronic Application
The electronic copy of your application must be submitted through the Indiana Courts Portal by the deadline above. All application materials uploaded to the Portal must be saved in PDF format, except the photograph, which must be in JPG format.
Sign into the Indiana Courts Portal. Then, locate the section labeled "My Tools & Settings" and click "Upload a document," which takes you to the Secure Document Uploader. Files must not exceed 15mb in size. You can check the size of any file by inspecting the document properties. Note, as indicated below, that document types are named to correspond with the vacancy for which you are applying. You must upload the following:
1 – Application Part One
- Once completed, save as a PDF. Do not print and scan this document.
- From the Secure Document Uploader, select the document type "Supreme JNC David 2022 - Application Part 1"
2 – Application Part Two
- Once completed, save as a PDF. Do not print and scan this document.
- From the Secure Document Uploader, select the document type "Supreme JNC David 2022 - Application Part 2"
3 – Statement of Economic Interests
- The Statement of Economic Interests may require additional pages. Combine the completed form and additional pages into a single PDF file, and make sure to save the file correctly as described in this tutorial.
- From the Secure Document Uploader, select the document type "Supreme JNC David 2022 - SEI"
4 – Waiver and Statement of Consent
- The Waiver and Statement of Consent requires a signature. Print, sign, and scan this file as a PDF.
- From the Secure Document Uploader, select the document type "Supreme JNC David 2022 - Waiver"
5 – Supplemental materials
- Ideally, you should combine all supplemental materials into a single PDF document, but if the file exceeds 15mb, you will have to upload multiple PDF documents. Also, if your certified educational transcripts are electronic, you should upload them as separate documents. Scanned files tend to be larger, so avoid those if possible.
- Be sure to include:
- If applicable, military documentation identified in Part One: Question 2B.
- Educational transcripts identified in Part One: Questions 2A and 3A.
- Writing samples identified in Part One: Question 6.
- Physician statement identified in Part Two: Question 3.
- From the Secure Document Uploader, select the document type "Supreme JNC David 2022 - Attachment"
6 - Current Photograph
- Provide a recently taken professional headshot with a resolution of at least 300dpi, at 5 x 7 inches, saved in JPG format.
- From the Secure Document Uploader, select the document type "Supreme JNC David 2022 - Photo"
Additional instructions for preparing and uploading documents may be found at the Portal help website.
Instructions for Hard Copy Applications
Nine hard copies of your application must be received no later than the deadline above by the Commission’s Office at 251 N. Illinois Street, Suite 1600, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204. Please retain proof of delivery and a complete application for your records.
The nine hard-copy applications—the original and eight copies—must be provided in a three-ring binder (coil, comb, book, strip, or other binding is not allowed) and must include the same materials as provided in the electronic submission.
In addition, the original hard copy should include:
- Certified transcripts from each school named in Questions 2A and 3A from Application Part One. If your social security number is on your transcripts, you must redact it before copying.
- Note: If your school provides only electronic certified transcripts, you may upload the certified transcript as part of your electronic application and instead print a copy for the original.
- An Indiana State Police release form on green paper. The release form requires the applicant’s social security number and that will remain confidential. Contact the Nominating Commission Office at email@example.com well in advance of the deadline to request a copy of the form.
The eight copies of the original application should include copies of the transcripts but not the release form.
The Nominating Commission will conduct public interviews in Indianapolis on a date to be determined. The Commission may conduct two rounds of public interviews. Upon the conclusion of interviews, the Nominating Commission will deliberate in executive session, then vote in a public session to nominate to the Governor the three most highly qualified candidates. Ind. Code § 33-27-3-2. Candidates must be available on the interview dates, including evening hours.