To the Bench, Bar, and Public:
The Domestic Relations Committee of the Judicial Conference of Indiana seeks comments on proposed changes to Indiana’s Parenting Time Guidelines. The guidelines are used by courts, parents, and mediators as a model to aid in scheduling frequent, meaningful, and continuing contact with each parent.
The most substantial change is a new section on Shared Parenting and the principles of how to put it into practice. The proposed changes also include:
- Parenting time during a public health emergency
- Reducing potential for third-party conflict when children are dropped off/picked up between homes
- Uniformity of pick-up and drop-off times on holidays and birthdays
- Transportation to and from extracurricular activities
- Text messaging as a common type of communication
- Immunity of parenting coordinators
- Removal of the section on parallel parenting
The Court invited public comment on the proposed amendments until Friday, May 14, 2021.