Purpose | Documents | Meetings | Members | Staff Contact
The Study Commission was created by the Indiana Supreme Court to evaluate current trends and issues and make recommendations regarding the future of the Indiana bar examination. Specifically, the Study Commission should address:
- Whether Indiana should modify what is deemed to be a passing score on the Indiana bar examination.
- Should Indiana continue the practice of scaling the written portion (Indiana Essay Examination and Multistate Performance Test) of the Indiana bar examination to the multiple-choice portion (Multistate Bar Examination) of the bar examination.
- Whether Indiana should continue to use the same grading scale to grade the written portion of the Indiana bar examination.
- Whether any changes should be made to the number of subjects tested on the Indiana Essay Examination.
- Should any changes be made to the appeals process for applicants who are unsuccessful on the Indiana bar examination.
- Whether the present content and format of the Indiana bar examination has a disparate impact on any groups.
- Should Indiana adopt the Uniform Bar Examination ("UBE").
The Study Commission made a report to the Supreme Court in December 2019. The report includes 7 recommendations for how Indiana could change its approach to the exam. The Supreme Court invited public comment on these recommendations until noon on Monday, February 3, 2020.
Meetings were open to the public.
- Wednesday, November 13 - Agenda (PDF)
- Thursday, January 17 - Minutes (PDF)
- Wednesday, February 20 - Minutes (PDF)
- Thursday, March 14 - Minutes (PDF)
- Tuesday, April 16 - Minutes (PDF)
- Wednesday, May 15 - Minutes (PDF)
- Tuesday, June 11 - Minutes (PDF)
- Thursday, July 11 - Minutes (PDF)
- Wednesday, August 21, 2019 Minutes (PDF)
- Friday, September 6, 2019 - Minutes (PDF)
- Thursday, October 10, 2019 Minutes (PDF)
Hon. Randall T. Shepard, Chair
Chief Justice of Indiana (ret.)
Hon. Nancy H. Vaidik, Vice Chair
Chief Judge, Indiana Court of Appeals
Hon. Cristal Brisco
St. Joseph Circuit Court
Hon. Kenton Kiracofe
Wells Circuit Court
Dean Andrew Klein
Indiana University McKinney School of Law
Dean Austen Parrish
Indiana University Maurer School of Law
Bradley Skolnik, Ex Officio
Executive Director, Office of Admissions and Continuing Education
Dean Nell Jessup Newton
Notre Dame School of Law
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Justin Forkner, Ex Officio
Chief Administrative Officer, Indiana Supreme Court
Office of Admissions and Continuing Education