Moving Equine Under Indiana's Animal Disease Traceability Rule

What is official ID for Equine in Indiana?

BOAH recognizes three forms of identification as official.  All are approved by USDA for interstate movements.

Physical Description
     Sufficient to identify an individual animal, including all of the following
     when present:
            -Name, age, breed, color, gender, distinctive markings, cowlicks,
              scars, blemishes, biometric measurements, etc.
            -Permanent forms of ID (brands, tattoos)
Digital Photographs
            -Sufficient to identify an individual animal
            -Accompany paperwork
USDA-Approved Electronic Implant (Microchip)
            -Number noted on accompanying paperwork

Movements of Equine

Equine entering Indiana must be accompanied by documentation that notes official ID (as recognized by BOAH).
  For other equine entry requirements go to: www.in.gov/boah/2449.htm.

Documentation required:
-Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, with official ID of each animal
       written or attached, written within 30 days of entry
-Direct to an approved market 
      -Equine used as the mode of transportation, when the animal returns
       directly to its origin.
      -Veterinary care (no ownership change)
      -Passing through the state 
      -Meets requirements of Equine Passport System recognized by
       Indiana; Passport must accompany animal
(NOTE:  Indiana does not currently recognize any Passports, but may in the future.)


Indiana equine moving within Indiana do NOT need paperwork or identification

Other requirements:
-Organizers of venues (such as trail rides and exhibitions) may request
       additional paperwork, identification or other requirements of
       participating equine.


Always call ahead to the state-of-destination for equine moving out of Indiana.

Official ID:
-Equine that meet Indiana's ID requirements will meet requirements for
       all states, based on USDA's ADT rules.
      Official ID:
           -Adequate description
           -Electronic implant (microchips) 
           -Digital photographs
-Call ahead to ask specific details about required documentation.
       USDA recognizes Certificates of Veterinary Inspection, with
       official IDs noted, for inter-state movements.
      -What is the time limit on CVIs?
      -Is a pre-entry permit required?
      -Other requirements, such as tests?
      -Is an Indiana Equine Passport accepted?

What is an Equine Passport?

(NOTE: Indiana does not currently recognize any Passports, but may in the future.)

Formally known as an Equine Interstate Movement Permit Program, the "Passport" is a voluntary, cooperative program to ease documentation requirements for horses moving interstate.

Passport horses may travel for exhibitions, races, trail rides and other activities under a waiver of requirements by the participating state of destination.

What are Passport requirements?

BOAH is accepting comments on what requirements should be part of an approved passport system in Indiana.

Most states require a valid certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI), along with a negative test for equine infectious anemia (Coggins), plus documentation (record sheet) of all movements.  The passport is renewable and typically valid for a term of 6 months.

Usually, passport equine must be uniquely identified with digital photos and/or microchips.

Where can a passport be used?

States may choose to recognize passports.  Currently, more than a dozen (primarily in the South) make up a network of passport states.

What are the benefits?

Owners do not have to bear the costs of obtaining a CVI every 30 days to travel.