Language Translation
  Close Menu

Residents with Out-of-Country Licenses

If you hold an out-of-country driver’s license and wish to obtain an Indiana license, we encourage you to take a few minutes to review the information provided on this web page. It will provide key requirements and insights as you prepare to apply for an Indiana driver’s license.

An out-of-country driver's license cannot be used for identification purposes. If you intend to obtain an Indiana driver’s license, you must provide one of the following:

  • An out-of-country driver's license in the English language, OR
  • An out-of-country driver’s license presented with a verifiably accurate English translation, OR
  • An out-of-country driver’s license presented with your International Driving Permit.

In addition to your out-of-country license, you must do the following to obtain an Indiana driver's license:

  1. Provide proper identification documentation,
  2. Pass the vision screening,
  3. Pass the knowledge exam, and
  4. Pass the driving skills exam.

The skills exam may be waived if you qualify under a Reciprocal Driver’s License Agreement.

All documents proving your identity, lawful status, social security number and Indiana residency will be verified through a central verification process. The BMV will issue an interim license, valid for 30 days, authorizing the holder to drive pending authentication of documents submitted to the BMV at the time of your transaction.

After your documents are verified, the BMV will mail the driver’s license, learner’s permit, or identification card to you. If the documents cannot be verified, you will receive a letter explaining the determination and your rights to request an administrative hearing to review the determination. Refunds will not be issued in the case of documents that cannot be verified.

Reciprocal Driver's License Agreement with Foreign Countries

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles has an agreement with the following countries for the reciprocal exchange of driver's licenses:

  • Japan
  • Taiwan

This agreement allows residents of jurisdictions with established reciprocal agreements to obtain a driver's license after satisfying the appropriate requirements. If an applicant 18 years of age or older presents a driver’s license from a participating country, and the out-of-country license is either active or expired less than three years, the BMV will waive the vehicle skills exam. These applicants must still take and pass both the written knowledge exam and vision exam. Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) applicants are required to complete and pass all exams for the CDL they wish to obtain.

Information for Countries with Reciprocity Agreements

Download, print and bring the appropriate letter based on your documentation to a BMV license branch to facilitate obtaining an Indiana driver’s license.