Meet the New Design for Driver's License, Permits, & IDs
We are excited to release a newly designed driver’s license, permit, and identification card. The introduction of this new design began in May 2019 and will be available online and at all branches across the state by mid-July. The new design includes the most modern and strongest security features available.
What You Need to Know
It will take several weeks to transition all BMV branches to the new design so this means depending on the branch you visit, you might still receive the old design through mid-July. It doesn't matter which design you have because your Indiana license, permit, or ID is valid until the expiration date printed on the card.
New Design Features
- Black and white laser engraved text and image
- Tactile and UV features
- Mini Portrait
- Minor specific vertical card format with under 18 and under 21 wording
- Indiana focused imagery with a race car for Driver’s Licenses and a cardinal indicator for IDs
- Easier to find and read personal information
- More durable card construction for a longer-lasting tamper resistant card
Real ID Impact
The new design does not in any way impact Real ID status for anyone.
- If you already have a Real ID and complete a renewal or amendment, you will still have the Real ID indicator in the top right hand corner.
- If you do not have a Real ID and wish to apply for one, visit the Real ID page for information on documentation requirements.
- If you do not have a Real ID and do not wish to apply for one, you will have the same option to not upgrade to Real ID while still receiving the new design.