Main Content


Commercial Learner’s Permit

To get a commercial learner's permit (CLP) you must be at least 18 years old if you will be transporting property within state lines, and at least 21 years old if you will be transporting people. You must have held a driver's license for at least one year.

To get a CLP you need to pass the appropriate knowledge exam for the vehicle type you plan to operate:

  • All commercial vehicles drivers: General knowledge exam
  • All school bus drivers: School bus endorsement exam and passenger transport exam
  • All bus drivers: Passenger transport exam
  • Vehicle with air brakes: Air brakes exam
  • Combination of vehicles: Combination vehicle exam
  • Drivers required to transport hazardous material: Hazardous material exam
  • Drivers required to transport liquids in bulk: Tanker exam
  • Drivers required to pull double or triple trailers: Doubles/triples exam

When you pass a knowledge exam, the results are valid for 180 days. You may receive only three CLPs in two years. A CLP is valid for 180 days.

Holders of a valid CLP may operate a commercial motor vehicle only when accompanied by the holder of a valid commercial driver’s license who has the proper class and endorsement(s) necessary to operate the commercial motor vehicle.

You may find the material covered in the knowledge examinations in the commercial driver’s license test booklet.

When you apply for a CLP, you must present documents of identification proving your identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and Indiana residency.

If you are applying for a non-domiciled CLP, all qualifications above apply and you must provide an employment authorization document. A non-domiciled CLP may be issued to an individual who has certain lawful temporary status. You do not qualify for a non-domiciled CLP if you are from Mexico or Canada.

Still Have Questions? Contact the BMV

Send us an e-mail about getting a commercial learner's permit