Tips for Parents
Many kids and teens don’t realize the dangers and risks that are lurking online. Protecting children and teens from Internet predators and scam artists is crucial as technology continues to become a part of our everyday lives. Talk about Internet safety with your kids, and teach them how to play it safe. Here are some helpful tips:
- They should never arrange a face-to-face meeting with someone they met online.
- They should never upload or post pictures of themselves onto the Internet, or online service, to people they do not personally know.
- Never give out identifying information such as their name, home address, school name, or telephone number.
- Never download pictures from an unknown source, as there is a good chance these can be sexually explicit images.
- Never respond to messages or bulletin board postings that are suggestive, obscene, belligerent, or harassing.
- And remember, whatever they see online, may or may not be true.
A list of top questions asked by parents and guardians around the country is available at NetSmartz411.org.
Click here for an Instagram Parent Guide.
To Report Child Sexual Exploitation:
Cyber Tip line 1.800.843.5678
To Report Other Forms of Cyber Crime: