The Selection Process and Enacting Legislation
In 2005, Senate Bill No. 433 established a process for selecting a state poet laureate.
The Selection Committee
The selection commission consists of the follow eight members:
- Seven members selected by the commission who represent state supported and private institutions of higher education.
- The faculty member must: (1) be a member of the fine arts or English department of the institution; and (2) teach writing.
- The Executive Director of the Indiana Arts Commission.
The selection committee does the following:
- Meets on a biennial basis to select the poet laureate.
- Determines a method of selecting the poet laureate.
- Selects a poet laureate not later than December 1 of each odd-numbered year.
- Permits a person to be selected as poet laureate even if the person has previously served as poet laureate.
Poet Laureate Duties
The Indiana Poet Laureate does the following:
- Makes a formal appearance at schools, including the Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired and the Indiana School for the Deaf, libraries, and other educational facilities.
- Offers advice to the commission concerning ways to further the art of poetry in Indiana.
- Represents Indiana and the art of poetry to the education community and the public.
- The Department of Education assists the poet laureate in scheduling the poet laureate’s appearances in educational facilities and at other appropriate events.