Indiana Outdoor Online Licensing : Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Customer ID Number field when signing up for the first time?

If you have previously purchased an Indiana hunting, fishing or trapping license, the customer ID will be listed on the license. Entering this customer ID number when signing up will help the system to correctly identify you and link your new account with past license purchase history. This customer ID field is not required and the system will automatically assign a customer ID if you don't enter one.

Can more than one customer use the same email address?

No. The email address is part of the unique identifier for each account. In order to register, each customer will need their own unique email address. The "Associate" function can be used for an adult to purchase licenses for a minor without the minor needing their own email address.

Anyone age 18 or older must create their own account. Attempting to Sign Up using an email address that has already been used will result in a validation error.

I just finished signing up and when I try to login, I get a username/password error.

New accounts require an email confirmation. Please check your email to confirm your registration. If you don't see an email message, be sure to check your junk or spam folder.

Why is the license I need not showing in the list of licenses available to purchase?

The on-line license system compares your customer profile with the current license regulations to provide a list of licenses to meet your specific needs. If the license you are looking for is not included in the list available to purchase, it is likely due to:

- Your MY PROFILE residency status
- Your MY PROFILE hunter education course number (HED Number)
- Your Date of Birth in MY PROFILE

How do I change the Date of Birth in MY PROFILE?

The Date of Birth field cannot be changed in the MY PROFILE screen. If the date of birth shown in your customer profile is incorrect, please contact the DNR Customer Service Center at (317) 232-4200 or email

What if my email address changes?

Login with the email address you first used when signing up. Then go to SETTINGS in the top menu bar. You can enter your new email address here.

What if I move to Indiana or qualify for a resident license, but I am not a resident?

You can change your address and residency status at any time in your MY PROFILE.

If you are a non-resident but qualify to purchase a resident license (children under 18 who have a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian who is a resident of Indiana, and nonresidents who are on active duty in the armed forces and stationed in Indiana), you can keep your current permanent address (out-of-state), but change your residency to "resident" to be able to purchase a resident license.

I purchased a gift certificate, why didn't I get an email message?

Check your email SPAM or Junk Mail folder. An email message will be sent to the email on file with both the gift certificate id and validation number needed to redeem it.

How do I redeem a gift certificate?

You will need the Gift Certificate Number and the Validation Number found in the email receipt from the gift certificate purchase. When a gift certificate is "redeemed" the balance is added to your customer profile account balance. This redemption can be done when you VIEW CART or from MY PROFILE. Then when you COMPLETE CHECKOUT from your shopping cart, the balance remaining of the gift certificate is displayed and you will be able to apply that balance to your purchase. Gift certificates can only be used to purchase licenses. Gift certificates can only be redeemed through the online licensing system or at a DNR property.

How do I use Associations?

Associations allow you to purchase licenses on the behalf of minor children under the age of 18.

- Set up a new association profile using the ASSOCIATIONS button from the left side of the DASHBOARD. The associate is assigned their own unique Customer ID number.
- Click on the Customer ID button at the left of the top menu bar. There is a drop-down list of associate profiles. Click "ACT AS" to purchase or view licenses for that associated person.

What is HIP?

HIP is the Migratory Bird Harvest Information Program. A HIP number is required if you hunt migratory game birds in Indiana. If you hunt any of the species below, a HIP number is required in addition to any license requirements:

ducks | coots | doves | sora | mergansers | geese | woodcock | snipe

To get your HIP number, you must complete a survey about your hunting during LAST YEAR's season. If you didn't hunt migratory birds last season, then it is a very short survey. For more information go to

How to I make a donation?

You can make a one time donation without creating an online account by clicking on "SHOP" in the top right hand corner of the online licensing system. You will be required to provide an email address for your receipt. If you're already a customer, click "SHOP" and then "LOGIN" to your account. Then select the "DONATIONS" button on the right hand side of your screen.

Where do I go if I need to reprint my license?

You can reprint your license for free at any time by logging back into the system. Your active licenses will be displayed. Simply "View" the license and click the "Print" button to reprint the license. All current active licenses will print on one page for your convenience.

Does the Indiana web site offer both resident and non-resident fishing, hunting and trapping licenses?

Yes. The first section of the licensing module starts with personal information input that has a "residency indicator check". If you qualify as an Indiana resident, you will need to select "resident". Otherwise, click on the "Non-Resident". A resident is a person who has lived in Indiana continuously for a period of 60 days preceding the date of license or permit purchase and does not claim residency for hunting, fishing, or trapping in any other state or country. All others are non-residents.

Are there additional fees associated with for purchasing licenses on-line?

Yes, there is an enhanced access fee to cover the costs to provide this on-line service.

What type of credit cards will be accepted when purchasing licenses on-line?

Visa, MasterCard or Discover are all accepted. American Express is not accepted at this time.

Is Indiana's on-line web site secure for credit card transactions?

Yes, when you begin to purchase an on-line license, the browser and our server establish a secure connection through a SSL (Secure Socket Layer).

Once the secure connection is made, all entered data, such as personal information, purchase information and credit card information, will be encrypted. You should see "https" instead of "http" in the browser's Location/Address bar and a locked locker will be shown at the bottom of the browser in the status bar. VeriSign certifies the Indiana on-line license web site.

Do I need a printer in order to purchase an on-line license?

No. You are not required to carry a printed copy of your license. An electronic copy is valid. However, it is advised that you print a paper copy for your records. To do so, you will need a functioning printer. You must carry an official electronic or printed copy. No license or stamps will be mailed to you.

Since the license is purchased electronically, do I still need to carry it?

Yes. You will need to carry your license with you whenever you go fishing, hunting or trapping, in either an electronic form or a printed copy.

How do I know what licenses I need?

There is an on-line "Sport License Finder" tool at You can also find the current Hunting and Fishing Guides at

Can I buy stamps without purchasing a hunting or fishing license if I already have one?

Yes. If you already purchased a hunting or fishing license elsewhere, you may still purchase a game bird habitat, migratory waterfowl or trout/salmon stamp privilege on-line.

Do I need my Hunter's Education Certification number in order to purchase a license?

If you are born after 1986, you will be required to either enter your Hunter's Education Certification number and state of issuance or purchase an apprentice hunting license. Only three apprentice hunting licenses can be purchased in a lifetime. Those born prior to January 1, 1987 do not need a hunter's education certification number to purchase a hunting license.

Are sample temporary transportation tags available on-line?

Temporary transportation tags can be printed from your computer through this web site. You can go to ( ) and print a temporary transportation tag before going into the field. The use of this sample tag is not required, but a piece of paper is required to tag your deer or turkey before taking it to the check station or when using CheckIN Game. The piece of paper must contain the hunter's name, address, license number of the person who took the animal (if applicable), sex of the deer or turkey, and date (month and day) the deer or turkey was killed. This will also serve as your permanent tag once the confirmation number is recorded on it.

Will my license print on tear resistant or waterproof paper?

The paper that is loaded into your printer will be the paper your license is printed on. You may make additional copies of the license in case your original is lost or destroyed. However, you can reprint for free anytime on the online license system.

What do I do if I realize I have made a mistake after I purchased my online license?

No refunds will be made. Please make your license choices carefully.

Why was my credit card declined?

Check to see if all the input information is correct and try again if you have problem in processing your credit card. Check your system's clock and adjust it if it is not correct, if you got the message saying your card is expired when actually it was not. You may have been declined due to a network communication problem between our site and the credit card company. If there is an interruption in the transaction request communication with the processor, they will decline our request. If the situation was due to an interruption in communication, you may get through if you try again. The credit card processor may also decline a transaction request for fraud protection reasons. If your card continues to be declined, report the problem to your credit card issuer.

Who do I contact if I have problems?

If you have problems with your transaction, contact the DNR at or at (317) 232-4200.

If you have questions about Indiana hunting, fishing or trapping regulations, go to the DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife web site,