As I was driving home from a meeting tonight, I saw the most beautiful hot air balloon floating in the sky in the distance. It seemed like such a lovely way to spend a summer evening, and it got me thinking about how one goes about hitching such a cool mode of transportation in Indiana.
A quick Google search later, and I learned that there are a lot of options for hot air balloon travel around the state. A few suggestions:
- Conner Prairie’s 1859 Balloon Voyage: Travel back in time and up in the air at this living history museum in Fishers. Definitely the most economical option.
- Indiana Balloon Rides/Sky High Aerial Promotions: Sign up for a private, sunrise or sunset trip. You can even get one to come to your house!
- Indy Hot Air: In addition to a conventional hot air balloon, this Hamilton County company offers “Oggy,” a dragon-shaped hot air balloon that is sure to get some attention as you float by.
- Airbus Balloon Rides: One of the larger hot air balloon companies in the state, they offer sunrise and late afternoon balloon rides every day of the week in Bloomington.
- Big Red Balloons: Another hot air balloon option in Bloomington, they offer private flights, tethered balloon rides and even flight training.
- Skypoint Balloons: This company offers several meeting points in Hamilton, Boone and Marion counties. Or consider a tethered balloon ride in conjunction with a special event.
- Above and Beyond Balloon Company: Participate in the inflation process in addition to your launch to get a true hot air balloon experience in Hamilton County.
- Indy Balloon Promotions: Take the “Tickled Pink” balloon up in the sky year-round on the northeast side of Indianapolis.
- Stars and Heights Balloon Team: Based in Greenfield, Indiana, this company offers flights year-round, in addition to tethered balloon services.
- Wander Aloft Ballooning: The best way to get an aerial view of Fort Wayne and the northeastern Indiana countryside is to schedule a flight with this company.
- Midwest Balloon Rides: With this Fishers-based company, you can get a video of your ride and a champagne toast to cap off the experience!
Ever been up in a hot air balloon? Tell us about it!
Photo courtesy of Indiana Balloon Rides.