The state of Indiana is built on limestone. Literally.
Southern Indiana is primarily a limestone base, that part of Indiana is dotted with limestone quarries, and many of our country’s buildings are built with Indiana limestone.
So it makes sense that we celebrate Limestone Month with the Limestone Heritage Festival in Lawrence County and Bedford, Indiana. While there are special events throughout the event — quarry tours, architectural walking tours, and carving workshops — the whole month kicks off on Wednesday, July 4 in Bedford with the Limestone Heritage Festival and Parade.
Limestone Heritage Festival Schedule, Wednesday, July 4
- Veterans’ Breakfast, Golden Corral Restaurant, Bedford, 7:30 am.
- Parade, downtown Bedford, 11:30 am
- Old Fashioned Ice Cream Social, Thornton Park, 1:30-4:30 pm.
- Lawrence County Community Band Concert, Thornton Park, 5:30-6:30 pm.
- Super Oldies 105.5 WQRK Concert, Parkview Field, Bedford, 8-10 pm.
- Fireworks, Parkview Field, Bedford, 10 pm.
For more information, visit the Limestone Country website.