I’m writing this near the end of October, and it’s still entirely too early to start thinking about Christmas, but it’s not too early to start planning. And different civic and tourism groups around Indiana are already gearing up for Christmas in November. If you want to see any of the Christmas festivals early, check out a few of these festivals around the state.
- November 5 & 6, Gasthof Holiday Bazaar, Montgomery (Daviess County, South Central Indiana). Vendors, crafts and gifts. Sample Gasthof goodies. Gift shops, Amish buffet and bakery.
- November 10 – 14, 61st Annual Christmas Gift and Hobby Show, Indianapolis (Marion County, Central Indiana). More than 350 exhibitors with “something for everyone.” This is where many Central Indiana residents mark the beginning of the Christmas season.
- November 12 – 14, Huntingburg Christmas Stroll, Huntingburg (DuBois County, Southwest Indiana). Carriage rides, holiday home tours, and a cookie walk.
- November 20 – 21, Ferdinand Christkindlmarkt, Ferdinand (DuBois County, Southwest Indiana). DuBois County is German country, so Ferdinand celebrates with a German heritage market, food, wine, and Christmas gifts, along with free entertainment, and a trolley service.
- November 20 – 21, Winter Lights in the Park, Valparaiso (Porter County, Northwest Indiana). They have one of the best lighting displays in Northwest Indiana. The 20th is the first night you can start seeing the lights. Well worth the visit.
- November 26 & 27, December 3 & 4, Nights Before Christmas Candlelight Tour of Homes, Madison (Jefferson County, South Central Indiana). Visit 4 public historic sites, 5 private homes and a local church, most of which are in Madison’s National Historic Landmark District.
- November 26 (only), Light Up Logansport Parade and Park Display, Logansport (Cass County, West Central Indiana). Logansport lights up the city the day after Thanksgiving with their seasonal display.
- November 27 – December 13, Festival of Gingerbread, Fort Wayne (Allen County, Northeast Indiana), More than 100 gingerbread creations on display at the Fort Wayne History Center.
- November 27 – December 5, Anderson Paramount Theatre’s Festival of Trees, Anderson (Madison County, Central Indiana) Dancing, high school choir concerts from all over 4 counties, and Christmas trees.
Please note that some of these events have an admission charge. Be sure to check out the website before you get in your car.