It’s hot outside and there’s no better way to cool off than with a delicious ice cream cone or milkshake! Creamy ice cream makes a perfect treat on a summer afternoon and Indiana is filled with local restaurants that dish out some of the best ice cream you’ve ever tasted, often while serving up some local flavor as well. Here are some places we recommend:
-Valpo Velvet Ice Cream Company in Valparaiso has been making and distributing creamy cold treats since 1920. In their ice cream shoppe, choose from 50 flavors of ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet and sorbet or try a malt, shake, sundae or smoothie!
- Ivanhoe’s in Upland has 100 different ice cream flavors and 100 different shake flavors that they’ve been developing since they opened in 1965. In the summer they serve fresh strawberry shortcake, too! Earn a place on their wall by trying all 100 different ice cream flavors!
- Mr. Happy Burger in Logansport has been family-owned and operated for more than 40 years. They have a huge selection of flavors and a uniquely large Coke collection.
- Fair Oaks Farms in Fair Oaks is one of the largest family-owned dairies in the United States and their cafe serves delicious milk, ice cream and milkshakes fresh off the farm!
- Triple XXX Family Restaurant in Lafayette is a multi-generation owned drive-in that opened in 1929. They are known for their amazing old-fashioned hand-dipped milkshakes.
- Gelato Da Vinci in Carmel makes authentic Italian gelato with no artificial flavors. By folding instead of whipping the cream, the gelato becomes dense and extra creamy. Their array of unique flavors will have you saying “delizioso!”
South Central Indiana:
- Zaharakos Ice Cream Parlor in Columbus has been serving up goodness since 1900. In a beautiful building made of stained glass, carved oak and marble, it still has the feeling of an old-time ice cream parlor serving delicious floats, shakes, sundaes and scoops.
- Miller’s Ice Cream House in Nashville serves homemade old-fashioned ice cream in every way you can imagine. Try it in a homemade waffle cone, on homemade cobbler or on persimmon pudding. Eat on the porch listening to piano music or watch the ice cream being made inside.
- Mundt’s Candy Sales and Soda Fountain in Madison serves tasty ice cream and candy in a brick building constructed more than 170 years ago. The restaurant still makes its ice cream in a 1948 ice cream machine and serves it at an authentic soda fountain.
- Emery’s Premium Ice Cream in Corydon has been operating since the ’50s and uses the same stools, counter and vintage art that it did six decades ago. Flavors like Banana Nut and Oreo Treasure keep everyone coming back for more!
- Zesto Microcreamery in New Albany makes every batch of ice cream by hand and chooses the tastiest toppings and ingredients. Their sundaes include flavors like S’more and Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and their Cyclones are a special treat.
Be sure to comment about your favorite local ice cream spots so we can try them out!