One of my favorite events of the year is the Gary Air Show, held every year at Marquette Park Beach in Miller, Indiana. It’s always a great day out and as someone who loves airplanes, it’s great fun.
This year’s Gary Air Show will be held on Saturday July 10th and Sunday July 11th. There’s also a special preview of the USAF Tunderbirds on Friday night as they practice for the next day. There will be fireworks as well!
This year they have a great show planned for everyone with aircraft featuring:
- U.S.A.F. Thunderbirds - U.S. Air Force Demonstration Squadron Flying a Team of Six F-16s
- U.S. Army Golden Knights - Parachute Team
- F-18 Super Hornet - U.S. Navy Demonstration
- F-16 Fighting Falcon - U.S. Air Force Demonstration
- Lima Lima - World’s Original Six Ship Civilian Formation Team - Bill Stein
- Bill Stein – Aerobatic Demonstration in an Edge 540
- Lucas Oil Pitts – Aerobatic Demonstration in a Modified Pitts
- Dave Dacy & Wingwalker Tony Kazian – Aerobatic and Wingwalking Demonstration in the Super Stearman biplane
- LAeroshell – Aerobatic Demonstration by a Four Ship Team in AT-6 Texans
- Aerostars – Aerobatic Demonstration by a Three Ship Team in the Yak 52 TW
There is ample free parking available throughout Gary and a series of shuttles provide access to the air show site. You can also pay $20 to park closer to the show and avoid waiting for the buses.
Down at the beach during the show, there will be an excellent assortment of food vendors, souvenirs and much more. Also, one little known secret is that you can watch the planes take off from the Gary International Airport if you want to avoid the crowds.