Barbecue season is upon us, and Liberty, Indiana is kicking off the 2010 Indiana BBQ Cup season on May 1st and 2nd, in Union County (straight south of Richmond, on US 27).
The festival will be at the Treaty Line Museum area, in the town of Dunlapsville, just south of Liberty, and just north of the Quakertown Recreation area on the west side of Brookville Lake (3801 W Old Dunlapsville Rd Liberty, IN 47353).
This is no ordinary barbecue competition, however. These folks take it very seriously. There is a $3,000 prize, with prizes given for the grand champion ($1,000), the Res. Grand Champion ($500), and prizes given for best chicken, pork ribs, pork, and beef brisket, from 1st place through 5th place. It’s also sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS). And cash prizes mean that serious BBQers will be showing up from around the state and neighboring states.
Many of the cookers will be selling their entries, and a lot of barbecue teams will sell their own sauces and rubs at events like this. If you love barbecue, this is one festival you will not want to miss.
Other activities, if you are so inclined, include:
- Craft Fair
- Home Show
- Antique Tractor & Farm Equipment Exhibits
- Handmade Furniture and Instruments
- RVs, Mobility Carts, Golf Carts, Mowers, and More!
- Corn Hole Tournament (Saturday)
- Home Improvement Products
- Handmade Jewelry
- Healthcare Products & Services
- Live Bluegrass Music (Saturday Evening)
- Antique and Classic Car & Truck Show (Sunday)
- BBQ Contest (Sunday afternoon)
The event will be held Saturday, May 1, from 9:00 am – 9:00 pm, and Sunday, May 2, from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.