Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing or assembling new motor vehicles or major component parts of motor vehicles, or both in Indiana and sells new motor vehicles to dealers, distributors, or the public must be licensed by the Secretary of State. Looking to become a licensed vehicle manufacturer in the State of Indiana? Just follow the steps below and you will be on your way!
Step 1 - Important legal review
We encourage those wanting to obtain their manufacturer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Step 2 - Completing the application
The Application can be found here. Please review the application before filing it out and be sure to fill it out completely and submit all required documents with the application, as failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application.
The Following must be submitted with the completed application:
- Application fee - Click here for a list of licensing fees
- Complete a national criminal background check for each dealer owner and each dealer manager.
- Dealer manager: individual who works at the established place of business of a dealer and who is responsible for and is in charge of the day to day operations, including the management, direction, and control of the dealership.
- Dealer owner:
- For a licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, that is a corporation, each officer, director, and shareholder having a ten percent (10%) or greater ownership interest in the corporation.
- If no officer, director, or shareholder has a ten percent (10%) or greater ownership interest in the corporation, one (1) or more officers, directors, or shareholders designated in writing by the board of directors.
- If the licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, is a sole proprietorship, the proprietor.
- If the licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, is a partnership, each partner.
- If the licensed or applicant dealer, other than a manufacturer, is a limited liability company, each member of the company.
- For a licensed or applicant manufacturer, one (1) or more officers, directors, or shareholders designated in writing by the manufacturer.
- The following documents. Business name and address on documents must match the business name and address listed on application:
- Registered retail merchant certificate
- $25,000 surety bond
- Zoning Affidavit (State Form 55936)
- Insurance (Certificate of Liability)
- Copy of a valid photo ID issued by a government agency for each dealer owner and each dealer manager
- Certificate of Existence (if applicable).
- Federal Identification number provided by the Internal Revenue Service
Step 3 - Sign, seal and mail!
Once you complete all of the steps and ensure all paperwork is filled out correctly, send your documents to our office at:
Office of the Indiana Secretary of State
Auto Dealer Services Division
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204