Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing or assembling new motor vehicles or major component parts of motor vehicles, or both in Indiana and sells new motor vehicles to dealers, distributors, or the public must be licensed by the Secretary of State. Looking to become a licensed vehicle manufacturer in the State of Indiana? Just follow the steps below and you will be on your way!
Step 1 - Important legal review
We encourage those wanting to obtain their manufacturer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Step 2 - Completing the application
The Application for Vehicle or Watercraft Dealer Business License (State Form 13215) can be found here. Please review the application before filling it out and be sure to fill it out completely and submit all required documents with the application, as failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application. When completing the application, be sure to check the "manufacturer" box in section nine.
The following must be submitted with the completed Application:
- Application fee - click here for a list of licensing fees
- A national criminal history background check for all corporate officers of the dealer that will be named on the license, all partners of the dealer, and all owners of the dealer.
- Registered retail merchant certificate
- $25,000 surety bond
- Zoning Affidavit (State Form 55936)
- Insurance (Certificate of Liability)
- Copy of Valid Photo ID issued by a government agency
- a copy of the Certificate of Existence, if applicable
- Federal Identification number provided by the Internal Revenue Service
- *Business name and address on documents must match the business name and address listed on application
Step 3 - Sign, seal and mail!
Once you complete all of the steps and ensure all paperwork is filled out correctly, send your documents to our office at:
Office of the Indiana Secretary of State
Auto Dealer Services Division
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204