Chapter 7 - Registration for Tax ID

The Secretary of State does not issue Federal Identification Numbers or determine whether a corporation will have an “ S” or a “ C” tax status. The office cannot give advice regarding tax issues. These issues must be discussed with the Internal Revenue Service. Businesses must obtain an Employer Identification Number. After receiving confirmation of your approved and filed documents with the Secretary of state you may obtain the Employer Identification Number online here or by telephone or by filing Form SS-4 with the IRS. Employer Identification Number (800) 294-5467. IRS Information Number (800) 829-1040. Forms (800) 829-3676. Or write: IRS, Cincinnati, OH 45999.

After contacting the IRS, Indiana imposes various taxes on businesses. Since you are starting a new business in Indiana, you may need to register with the Indiana Department of Revenue. You will need to register your business with the Department if you:

The Indiana Department of Revenue offers an online New and Small Business Education Center here This resource will assist in answering questions such as how do I register a business with the Department?

For more information contact the Indiana Department of Revenue Taxpayer Services Division, Withholding (317) 233-4016, Sales Tax (317)233-4015, Corporate Tax and General Information (317) 615-2662. Or visit Room N-105 Indiana Government Center North, 300 North Senate Avenue Indianapolis, IN. 46204 (located just west of the State House).


Previous Chapter [6]  Next Chapter [8]

Back to Main