Governing Board Charter Authority: Nonprofit Colleges & Universities
IC 20-24-2.2-1.2(c) provides that a governing board of a nonprofit college or university that provides a four (4) year educational program for which it awards a baccalaureate or more advanced degree, including all of the listed entities in IC 20-24-1-2.5(5), which desires statewide, regional, or local chartering authority must submit an application to the state board if it has not previously issued a charter for any charter school prior to July 1, 2015. A governing board wishing to apply must submit to Applications@sboe.in.gov, the following:
- A written notification of intent to serve as a charter authorizer in accordance with IC 20-24.
- An explanation of the governing board's strategic vision for chartering.
- A plan to support the governing board's strategic vision described in IC 20-20-24-2.2-1.2(f)(2), including an explanation and evidence of the governing board's budget and personnel capacity and commitment to execute the duties of quality charter authorizing in accordance with IC 20-24.
- A draft or preliminary outline of the request for proposals that the governing board would, if approved by the state board, issue to solicit charter school applicants under IC 20-24-3.
- A draft of the performance framework that the governing board would, if approved by the state board, use to guide the establishment of a charter contract and for ongoing oversight and evaluation of charter schools consistent with IC 20-24.
- A draft of the governing board's renewal, revocation, and nonrenewal processes.
- A statement of assurance that the governing board commits to serving as a charter authorizer in fulfillment of the expectations, spirit, and intent of this article, and that the governing board will fully adopt standards of quality charter school authorizing in accordance with IC 20-24-2.2-1.5.
The state board will grant or deny the governing board's application no later than July 1 of the year following the receipt of the governing board’s application. Within thirty (30) days of the state board's decision, the state board will execute a renewable authorizing contract with the approved the governing board with an initial term of six (6) years.