Go Smoke Free
The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that there is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Only 100% smoke-free policies fully protect workers’ health.
Develop a smoke-free policy
The Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Commission has to tools you need to formulate a successful smoke-free policy for your Indiana business. Contact us today to request a free toolkit with information about developing your smoke-free policy.
Tips for a successful smoke-free policy:
- Begin your written policy by stating your goals to create a safe, healthy workplace for all workers
- Include information about the documented health risks of secondhand smoke
- Be clear and simple about where smoking is prohibited
- Avoid exceptions to the policy
- Voice your commitment to help smokers who want to quit
- Design the policy to treat all workers fairly, regardless of title or smoking status
- Allow at least 6 months to 1 year to plan for the new policy
Additional resources for employers
Employers who join the Quit Now Preferred Employer program have access to additional materials to craft smoke-free policies and help employees quit smoking at no charge. Click here to learn more about how to become a Preferred Employer.