INDIANAPOLIS - John Barenie from Griffith, Ind., took top honors at the 10th annual Indiana State Fair Giant Pumpkin Contest sponsored by the Indiana Pumpkin Growers Association. His grand gourd weighed in at 1,160 pounds to defeat the runner-up by a convincing 152 pounds.
"I am happy to have won after a tough season," Barenie said. "I have competed in the contest for years and will continue to do so."
The victory makes Barenie a two-time champion of the event, although his last title came in 2002. He is still the only Hoosier to ever win the competition. For his efforts, Barenie received a $1,000 check and a trophy.
Here is a complete listing of the competition's eight entries:
NAME HOMETOWN PUMPKIN WT.
1. John Barenie Griffith, Ind. 1,160 pounds
2. Dwight Slone Prestonsburg, Ky. 1,008 pounds
3. Jeff Zollner Clayton, Ohio 837 pounds
4. Karl Margarida Dubois County 827 pounds
5. David Cantrell Knox County 604 pounds
6. Jeffery Young Hamilton County 492 pounds
7. Max Miller Jay County 444 pounds
8. Jason Kramer Dayton, Ohio 399 pounds
About Indiana State Fair
The Indiana State Fair is the state's largest multi-day event attracting more than 900,000 people annually. Nationally recognized for offering the best in entertainment, showcasing youth, interactive agriculture education programs, premiere facilities and a variety of unique, fun foods, the Indiana State Fair has been an annual tradition for generations of Hoosiers since 1852. Admission is $7 in advance, $8 at the gate - kids 5 and younger are free. For more information, please visit www.indianastatefair.com.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: