Two public events regarding Vectren Energy Delivery's request for an increase in its electric base rates and charges are scheduled for Wednesday, May 12, 2010 in Evansville, Indiana. Both events will be held at The Centre at 715 Locust Street:
- At 1:30 p.m., Central Time, the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 2:00 p.m., Central Time, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments regarding Vectren's electric rates. The hearing will be conducted in two sessions:
- The field hearing's afternoon session will begin at 2:00 p.m. local time and continue until approximately 4:00 p.m.
- An evening session for additional comments will begin at 6:00 p.m., Central Time.
- Oral and written comments submitted at the field hearing will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
Vectren provides electric utility service to more than 140,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in 6 southwestern Indiana counties. The utility's current electric base rates were approved in 2007.
Electric utility base rates primarily cover infrastructure, operating and maintenance costs. This case is separate from Vectren's quarterly Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) process, which allows electric utilities to recover coal and other fuel costs on a dollar-for-dollar basis. FAC cost recovery is subject to OUCC review and IURC approval.
Vectren is seeking $54.2 million in new operating revenues in IURC Cause No. 43839. In its testimony, the utility states that its proposed base rate increase is due to capital improvements to its generating facilities and transmission and distribution systems, growth in operating and maintenance expenses, and other factors.
The OUCC - the state agency representing the interests of all consumers in IURC cases - is reviewing Vectren's request and is currently scheduled to file testimony on June 21, 2010.
A number of additional parties - including the City of Evansville, Citizens Action Coalition of Indiana, and several of Vectren's large industrial customers - have formally intervened in this case through legal counsel. Testimony from intervening parties is due on June 21, 2010, the same date as the OUCC's testimony.
Vectren customers who are unable to attend the May 12 events in Evansville are encouraged to submit written comments to the OUCC. The OUCC accepts written consumer comments by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
All written comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to IURC Cause No. 43839. Comments the OUCC receives by the close of business on June 14, 2010 will be filed with the IURC for inclusion in the case's formal evidentiary record.
For more information on this case, including links to Vectren's testimony and exhibits, please visit the OUCC Website at www.in.gov/oucc/2598.htm. The OUCC also offers a guide to state utility regulatory proceedings at www.in.gov/oucc/2369.htm.
Vectren's natural gas rates, charges and service are not at issue in this case.
(IURC Cause No. 43839)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) represents Indiana consumer interests before state and federal bodies that regulate utilities. As a state agency, the OUCC's mission is to represent all Indiana consumers to ensure quality, reliable utility services at the most reasonable prices possible through dedicated advocacy, consumer education, and creative problem solving. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.