Two public events regarding the pending investigation of CHA Utilities, LLC are scheduled for Monday, April 5, 2010 at the Faith Community Center (5572 Mercy Way, Lafayette, Indiana):
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to discuss the regulatory process and describe public field hearing procedures.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments.
- The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
CHA Utilities is a privately-owned entity providing sewage disposal service to approximately 40 customers in the Creekside Subdivision near Lafayette.
The OUCC - the state agency representing consumer interests in cases before the IURC - requested a Commission investigation of CHA Utilities on February 3, 2010 after receiving information from customers regarding the charging of unauthorized rates, abandonment of operations, and failure to file required annual reports.
CHA customers who are unable to attend the April 5 events may submit written comments to the OUCC by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
Written comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to IURC Cause No. 43853.
The OUCC currently anticipates filing testimony in this case on May 18, 2010, with CHA expected to file response testimony on or before June 29, 2010.
All hearing and filing dates are subject to change. A settlement agreement is possible in any legal proceeding; the OUCC attempts to reach a fair settlement for customers in all rate cases.
For more information, including the OUCC filing initiating this case, please visit the OUCC's Website at www.in.gov/oucc/2611.htm.
(IURC Cause No. 43853)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) represents Indiana consumer interests before state and federal bodies that regulate utilities. As a state agency, the OUCC's mission is to represent all Indiana consumers to ensure quality, reliable utility services at the most reasonable prices possible through dedicated advocacy, consumer education, and creative problem solving. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: