Two public events are scheduled for Tuesday, September 1, 2009 regarding the proposed sale and rate increase for River's Edge Utility, Inc. Both events will be held at the Charlestown Community Center (at 1005 Main St. in Charlestown, Indiana):
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to describe public field hearing procedures and to discuss the utility regulatory process.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments in Cause No. 43115. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in the case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
River's Edge is a for-profit utility providing water and wastewater service to customers within the River's Edge subdivision in Clark County, Indiana. In IURC Cause No. 43115, Wastewater One, LLC - a for-profit entity based in Jeffersonville - is currently seeking to purchase the assets of River's Edge and to increase rates. Under the utility's request, the monthly combined water and sewer bill for a metered residential customer using 5,000 gallons per month would rise from $45.10 to $157.00. In its testimony and exhibits, Wastewater One states that the majority of the requested increase would cover proposed operating and maintenance costs.
The OUCC - the state agency representing consumer interests in cases before the IURC - continues to review Wastewater One's proposal and has not yet taken a position on the request. Currently, the OUCC is scheduled to complete its technical and legal review in this case and file testimony with the Commission on September 16, 2009.
Consumers who are unable to attend the September 1 events may submit written comments to the OUCC in advance:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
Written comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to "IURC Cause No. 43115." Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
For additional information on this case, please visit the OUCC Website at www.in.gov/oucc/2566.htm.
(IURC Cause No. 43115)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: