Two public events are scheduled for Monday, February 9 regarding the request of Doe Creek Sewer Utility, Inc. for an increase in its rates and charges. Both events will be held at Doe Creek Middle School, 2279 South 600 West, New Palestine, Indiana.
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to describe public field hearing procedures and to discuss the utility regulatory process.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments regarding the utility's rates. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in the case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
Current sewer rates for Doe Creek - which serves more than 380 customers in western Hancock County - were approved in 1995. According to its filing with the IURC, the utility is requesting additional revenues in the pending case due to increased operating and maintenance costs, and the costs of structural improvements including an additional aeration basin, new filtration cells, and an ultraviolet disinfection chamber. If approved, the utility's pending proposal would increase its flat, monthly residential sewer rate from $39.50 to $53.31.
The OUCC - the state agency representing consumer interests in cases before the IURC - continues to review the utility's proposal and has not yet taken a position on the request. Currently, the OUCC is scheduled to complete its technical and legal review in this case and file its report with the Commission on March 2.
Consumers who are unable to attend the February 9 events may submit written comments to the OUCC in advance. Comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to "IURC Cause No. 43530-U," and can be submitted by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
For additional information on this case, including a copy of the utility's filing, visit the OUCC Website at www.IN.gov/OUCC. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
(IURC Cause No. 43530-U)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: