Two public events are scheduled for Monday, February 2 regarding the pending water rate case of Aqua Indiana Inc.'s Darlington Water Division in Montgomery County. Both events will be held at the American Legion Hall, 201 South St., Darlington, Indiana:
- At 5:30 p.m., the Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) will conduct an information meeting to describe public field hearing procedures and to discuss the utility regulatory process.
- At 6:00 p.m., the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) will conduct a formal public field hearing to accept oral and written consumer comments regarding the water utility's rates. The comments will become part of the evidentiary record considered by the IURC in reaching its final decision in the case. Commissioners are not permitted to answer consumer questions during the formal field hearing.
Aqua Indiana, Inc. - a wholly owned subsidiary of Aqua America, Inc. - purchased the Darlington water works assets from the City of Indianapolis in 2006. Darlington's current water rates have been in effect since 1991. If the utility's pending proposal were approved, the monthly water bill for a residential customer who uses 5,000 gallons would increase from $22.97 to $61.70.
In its filing with the IURC, the utility states that it has installed a refurbished 100,000-gallon elevated storage tank. Other capital improvements listed in the utility's report include water main replacements, fire hydrant replacements and well pump upgrades.
The OUCC - the state agency representing consumer interests in cases before the IURC - continues to review Aqua Indiana's proposal and has not yet taken a position on the request. Currently, the OUCC anticipates completing its technical and legal review in this case and filing its report with the Commission on February 23.
Consumers who are unable to attend the February 2 events may submit written comments to the OUCC in advance. The agency needs to receive all consumer comments in this case no later than Monday, February 16. Comments should include the consumer's name, mailing address, and a reference to "IURC Cause No. 43609-U," and can be submitted by mail, fax or the Internet:
- Mail: Consumer Services Staff
Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor
115 W. Washington St., Suite 1500 South
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax: (317) 232-5923
- E-mail: uccinfo@oucc.IN.gov
- OUCC Website: www.IN.gov/OUCC
For additional information on this case, including a copy of the utility's filing, visit the OUCC Website at www.IN.gov/OUCC. Consumers with questions about submitting written comments can contact the OUCC's consumer services staff toll-free at 1-888-441-2494.
(IURC Cause No. 43609-U)
The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor (OUCC) is the state agency that represents residential and business consumer interests in cases before state and federal utility regulatory commissions. To learn more, visit www.IN.gov/OUCC.
« Back to News Release List
Link to this event: